(Senior) Backend Engineer (Platform Infrastructure / Networking)
Aiven aims to be the world’s leading cloud data platform - simply by making developer’s lives better. We are a cast of over 500 ‘Crabs’ with a passion for open-source and a cutting edge tech stack. We take ownership of the problems we solve and act with courage. Openness is our beating heart.
It takes an uncommon person to contribute to the common good. Would you like to join our Cast where everyone at every level works side-by-side on making developers’ lives better, and letting them build what matters most?
Aiven in a crabshell:
- Our platform delivers reliable and secure data ops
- Global service footprint & support organization
- Security is central to us
- 500+ customers in 60+ countries
- $420M in VC funding
- Our Burrow in Helsinki and hubs in Berlin, Boston, Paris, Singapore, Sydney, Toronto and Tokyo, remote team members employees from all over the world.
We value and celebrate the diversity of our people. We strive every day to build an inclusive workplace where all of us can thrive. We have a journey ahead of us, and we are committed to taking that journey towards being a more diverse and inclusive company.
Come and read more about us at https://aiven.io/blog/what-is-aiven.
We are looking for an experienced backend software engineer to work on our cloud operations platform turning the best open source technologies into frustration-free cloud services. You’ll be part of a team working on the Aiven cloud platform, improving its scalability and reliability, implementing new features as well as extending our product portfolio of open source data technologies.
There are specialization options available in the following areas:
- Cloud infrastructure specialization; cloud APIs, IaC solutions and custom orchestration
- Cloud networking specialization; cloud networking, vpn protocols and tunneling technologies
What You'll Do:
Your responsibilities will be:
- Writing high quality, maintainable code and releasing and monitoring quality features
- Performing peer reviews and participating in technical discussions both at the team level and among the product development engineering domain
- Contributing to technical planning and backlog management
- Ensure the backend has strong unit and functional testing coverage
- Advocate for improvements to software quality, security, and performance
- Contribute feature design, system architecture, and product roadmap
- Mentoring junior team members
What We're Looking For:
Don’t worry if your experience doesn’t line up perfectly – we still encourage you to apply! We believe in investing in our crabs’ professional growth.
- Good understanding of security in back end software
- Excellent development skills in Python
- Experience with SQL, RDBMS and database design
- Experience with using Linux in development and production
- Distributed systems knowledge
- Extensive experience in production software environments
- The urge to write automated tests
- Fluency in English, verbal and written
- Cloud infrastructure specialization:
- Experience with one or more cloud provider APIs (AWS, GCP, etc.)
- Experience with one or more IaC solutions (Terraform, Absible, etc.)
- Experience with orchestration tools (Kubernetes, OpenShift, etc.)
- Cloud networking specialization:
- Experience with the Linux networking stack
- Experience with one or more vpn protocols such as IPSec or Wireguard
If you ask us what’s the best thing about working for Aiven, many will probably say it’s the high concentration of talent from around the world that we have here. Enjoy the agile environment of a hyperscale scale-up where you can truly make an impact and have fun while at it.
We invest in you
- Participate in Aiven’s equity plan.
- Dreaming of flexible work arrangements? Look no further. Work in one of our hubs, fully remote, or anything in between.
- Get the equipment you need to set yourself up for success.
- Step up your career game with real employer support (use one of our learning platforms, annual learning budget, and more).
- Get comprehensive wellbeing support through our global Employee Assistance Program.
Make a difference at Aiven
- Contribute to open source projects that you find relevant outside of work - and get paid for it. Our Plankton program recognizes extra work to the open source ecosystem for developers and non-developers alike.
- Use up to 5 days per year to volunteer for a good cause of your choice.
- Join one of our team member resource groups - empower yourself and others in missions that resonate with you.
As well as the above Global Benefits, we have regional benefits specific to your country of residence. We would be happy to discuss these further with you during the interview process
Amazing, What’s next
If you think Aiven is the place for you, send us your CV, and we’ll get in touch!
Aiven provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for employment without regard to age, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, religion, sexual orientation, physical and mental ability, marital and family status or without regard to any other similar personal attributes. Aiven aligns with applicable local laws governing inclusivity in employment in every location in which the company operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, training and any other terms and conditions related to employment.