Senior Software Engineer- Site Reliability Engineering
Aiven provides an open source data platform as a service. We help organizations fuel the continuous innovation needed to create cutting edge, data-intensive applications by using the leading open source technologies.
We’ve got the will - our vision: Aiven is a trusted open source data platform for everyone.
We’ve got the way - our values: openness, ownership and courage. We’re proud of our positive and passionate working environment, and it makes us really excited about what we can achieve. With us, you’ll be free to contribute creatively and meaningfully.
We’ve got the funding - our trusted backers: with world-class investors like Atomico, IVP and Earlybird Venture Capital, in 2022 we raised Series D funding of $210M to fuel global expansion, sustainability and diversity in tech. With a recent valuation of $3B, we’re one of the tech world’s most recent unicorns.
We value and celebrate the diversity of our people and invest in building a diverse team. We recognize the many benefits of a diverse workforce and strive for an inclusive workplace that empowers all our colleagues to thrive. We have a journey ahead of us, and we are committed to taking that journey towards being a more diverse and inclusive company.
Come and read more about us at https://aiven.io/blog/what-is-aiven.
About the role:
As a Senior Site Reliability Engineer at Aiven, you will be designing, analyzing and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems. You will demonstrate systematic problem-solving approach, ability to debug and optimize code and automate routine tasks.
You will ensure that Aiven’s services and systems have reliability, uptime appropriate to users' needs and a fast rate of improvement. Apart from monitoring our systems capacity and performance, you will also focus on optimizing existing systems, building infrastructure and eliminating work through automation.
Our systems are implemented in Python with bits of Java, Go and C. We develop and operate a number of complex open source databases such as PostgreSQL, MySQL and Apache Cassandra as well as other open source data technologies like Apache Kafka. You will often be troubleshooting and debugging issues, using your understanding of Linux and networking.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering or relevant experience.
- An understanding of algorithms, data structures, complexity analysis and software design.
- Experience in one or more of the following: Python, Java, Go, C, C++, Perl or Ruby.
- Some experience working with database and messaging systems such as PostgreSQL, MySQL, Elasticsearch, Cassandra, Grafana, InfluxDB, Redis or Kafka
- Good understanding of systems automation and IT Security
- Good analytical skills coupled with strong communication and presentation skills.
- Experience contributing to open source technologies would be an added bonus
- Comfortable with using Linux in a production environment setting.
- A dynamic environment in a rapidly growing, international business
- An agile working environment with short decision paths
- Compensation for open-source contributions made in your free time
- Flexible working hours, including remote work
- Paid time off for vacation, personal reasons, illness, parental leaves, and public holidays
- Choose the devices and tools that make you work the best including a mobile phone and subscription
- Grow-with-the-flow with access to an individual learning budget, our Aiven Library, individual coaching, and popular online learning platforms
- Home office furniture and internet stipend for fully-remote Aiveners
- Participation in employee stock option plan
- Our Employee Assistance Program and other wellness programs
- Offices packed with snacks, soft drinks, treats, and fruits
You will be part of a highly-skilled, tight-knit and growing team, making your contribution essential to what is becoming a truly unique success story. If you’re interested, send us your application and we'll take it from there.
If you ask us what’s the best thing about working for Aiven, many will probably say it’s the high concentration of talent from around the world that we have here. Enjoy the agile environment of a hyperscale scale-up where you can truly make an impact and have fun while at it.
We invest in you
- Participate in Aiven’s equity plan.
- Dreaming of flexible work arrangements? Look no further. Work in one of our hubs, fully remote, or anything in between.
- Get the equipment you need to set yourself up for success.
- Step up your career game with real employer support (use one of our learning platforms, annual learning budget, and more).
- Get holistic wellbeing support through our global Employee Assistance Program.
Make a difference at Aiven
- Contribute to open source projects that you find meaningful outside of work - and get paid for it! Our Plankton program recognizes extra work to the open source ecosystem for developers and non-developers alike.
- Use up to 5 days per year to volunteer for a good cause of your choice.
- Join one of our team member resource groups - empower yourself and others in missions that resonate with you.
- Need insurance? We’ve got you covered - benefit from our: Life Insurance / Extra 1.5% Super and Private Health Insurance
- Need to get around? We’ve got you covered with Novated Car Leasing
Amazing! What’s next?
If you think Aiven is the place for you, send us your CV and we’ll get in touch.
Aiven provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for employment without regard to age, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, religion, sexual orientation, physical and mental ability, marital and family status or without regard to any other similar personal attributes. Aiven complies with applicable local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, training and any other terms and conditions related to employment.