Senior Backend Engineer - Apache Kafka and Apache Flink, Python
Aiven strives to be the world’s leading cloud data platform - simply by making developer’s lives better. We are a cast of over 500 ‘Crabs’ with a passion for open-source and a cutting edge tech stack. We take ownership of the problems we solve and act with courage. Openness is our beating heart.
It takes an uncommon person to contribute to the common good. Would you like to join our Cast where everyone at every level works side-by-side on making developers’ lives better, and letting them build what matters most?
Aiven in a crabshell:
- Our platform delivers reliable and secure data ops
- Global service footprint & support organization
- Security is central to us
- 500+ customers in 60+ countries
- $420M in VC funding
- Our Burrow in Helsinki and hubs in Berlin, Boston, Paris, Singapore, Sydney, Toronto and Tokyo, remote team members employees from all over the world.
We value and celebrate the diversity of our people. We strive every day to build an inclusive workplace where all of us can thrive. We have a journey ahead of us, and are committed to taking that journey towards being a more diverse and inclusive company.
Come and read more about us at https://aiven.io/blog/what-is-aiven.
We are looking for a senior engineer to work on our cloud operations platform turning the best open source technologies into frustration-free cloud services. You will be part of the team that is focused on developing the cloud Apache Kafka and Apache Flink services and improving their scalability and reliability. The team is also responsible for Apache Kafka Connect, Apache Kafka MirrorMaker, several open-source Apache Kafka connectors, Karapace (Schema Registry and Kafka REST equivalent)
While we use Python extensively, this is not a hard requirement, as we are looking for senior engineers who like our mission and are willing to embrace Python.
What You'll Do:
- Writing high-quality, maintainable code and releasing quality features
- Performing peer reviews and participating in technical discussions both at the team level and among the product development engineering domain
- Contributing to technical planning and backlog management
- Helping investigate and resolve customer issues
- Mentor and empower other engineers around you
What We're Looking For:
Don’t worry if your experience doesn’t line up perfectly – we still encourage you to apply! We believe in investing in our crabs’ professional growth.
- Excellent development skills, preferably in Python.
- The urge to write automated tests
- Experience using Linux in development
- Good understanding of security (software, networking)
- Fluency in English, verbal and written
- Hands-on experience developing and/or operating Apache Kafka or Apache Flink
- Experience and/or interest in infrastructure as code
- Distributed systems knowledge
- Experience in cloud DBAAS production environments
If you ask us what’s the best thing about working for Aiven, many will probably say it’s the high concentration of talent from around the world that we have here. Enjoy the agile environment of a hyperscale scale-up where you can truly make an impact and have fun while at it.
We invest in you
- Participate in Aiven’s equity plan.
- Dreaming of flexible work arrangements? Look no further. Work in one of our hubs, fully remote, or anything in between.
- Get the equipment you need to set yourself up for success.
- Step up your career game with real employer support (use one of our learning platforms, annual learning budget, and more).
- Get comprehensive wellbeing support through our global Employee Assistance Program.
Make a difference at Aiven
- Contribute to open source projects that you find relevant outside of work - and get paid for it. Our Plankton program recognizes extra work to the open source ecosystem for developers and non-developers alike.
- Use up to 5 days per year to volunteer for a good cause of your choice.
- Join one of our team member resource groups - empower yourself and others in missions that resonate with you.
As well as the above Global Benefits, we have regional benefits specific to your country of residence. We would be happy to discuss these further with you during the interview process
Amazing, What’s next
If you think Aiven is the place for you, send us your CV, and we’ll get in touch!
How to Recognise and Avoid Employment Scams
There has been a rise in fake job postings used by scammers to get personal information. Please familiarise yourself with the red flags of a potential scam.
Aiven provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for employment without regard to age, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, religion, sexual orientation, physical and mental ability, marital and family status or without regard to any other similar personal attributes. Aiven aligns with applicable local laws governing inclusivity in employment in every location in which the company operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, training and any other terms and conditions related to employment.