Senior Analytics Engineer
Aiven provides an open source data platform as a service. We help organizations fuel the continuous innovation needed to create cutting edge, data-intensive applications by using the leading open source technologies.
We’ve got the will - our vision: Aiven is a trusted open source data platform for everyone.
We’ve got the way - our values: openness, ownership and courage. We’re proud of our positive and passionate working environment, and it makes us really excited about what we can achieve. With us, you’ll be free to contribute creatively and meaningfully.
We’ve got the funding - our trusted backers: with world-class investors like Atomico, IVP and Earlybird Venture Capital, in 2022 we raised Series D funding of $210M to fuel global expansion, sustainability and diversity in tech. With a recent valuation of $3B, we’re one of the tech world’s most recent unicorns.
We value and celebrate the diversity of our people and invest in building a diverse team. We recognize the many benefits of a diverse workforce and strive for an inclusive workplace that empowers all our colleagues to thrive. We have a journey ahead of us, and we are committed to taking that journey towards being a more diverse and inclusive company.
Come and read more about us at https://aiven.io/blog/what-is-aiven.
We are looking for a Senior Analytics Engineer to join our analytics team and support our fast growing data platform. We have more and more people in the company using our data models, and we need help in providing easy to use and clean data models for them. This role will be working at the intersection of analytics and engineering, working with data engineers to get the right raw data in and working with analysts to provide them with the best data models possible. You possess the technical skills of a data engineer and the business orientation of a data analyst.
We have a so-called Modern Data Stack with BigQuery, dbt and Airflow at the core, all hosted in Google Cloud Platform. We use Preset for business intelligence and Posthog for product analytics. We use tools like Stitch & Supermetrics to extract data from our source systems and Hightouch to push data back to for example Salesforce & Google Ads. Besides that, we’re using Monte Carlo as a data observability solution.
In this role your main focus will be to enable others in Aiven to do analytics. We want our Crabs to be able to solve 80% of their data questions by themselves. This requires high quality datasets that are easy to understand and use.
Position is based in Finland with a possibility to work from home.
What You'll Do:
- Drive SQL knowledge through the team and the rest of Aiven
- Help others in simplifying their data models
- Ensure people are adhering to our data modeling standards (and helping to improve on the standard)
- Build trust in our data by working closely together multi-functionally
- Own data quality, metrics, and business logic for our core data models
- Give data literacy trainings and mentor people with a desire to learn SQL
- Work together with analysts to define data models for them to use, and adjust our data models based on usage patterns
- Help define data domains to keep the data models manageable
What We're Looking For:
- Analytical and diligent
- Experience in spreading data literacy through an organization
- Expert in SQL
- Experience implementing data modeling frameworks such as (Kimball, Inmon, OneBigTable, Activity Schema)
- Skilled in using dbt
- Experience in developing and refactoring data models
- Experience working in a high-growth environment
- Excellent communication skills and fluency in verbal and written English skills
Nice to have:
- Experience in Python
- Experience in working with business intelligence tools like Sisense/Tableau/PowerBI/Looker
- Understanding of data orchestration tools like Airflow, Luigi, Prefect, or similar
Don’t worry if your experience doesn’t line up perfectly – we still encourage everyone to apply. We believe in investing in our crabs’ professional growth.
If you ask us what’s the best thing about working for Aiven, many will probably say it’s the high concentration of talent from around the world that we have here. Enjoy the agile environment of a hyperscale scale-up where you can truly make an impact and have fun while at it.
We invest in you
- Participate in Aiven’s equity plan.
- Dreaming of flexible work arrangements? Look no further. Work in one of our hubs , fully remote, or anything in between.
- Get the equipment you need to set yourself up for success.
- Step up your career game with real employer support (use one of our learning platforms, annual learning budget, and more).
- Get holistic wellbeing support through our global Employee Assistance Program.
Make a difference at Aiven
- Contribute to open source projects that you find meaningful outside of work - and get paid for it! Our Plankton program recognizes extra work to the open source ecosystem for developers and non-developers alike.
- Use up to 5 days per year to volunteer for a good cause of your choice.
- Join one of our team member resource groups - empower yourself and others in missions that resonate with you.
- Your wellbeing matters: we provide extensive Occupational Health Care, Dental Care, as well as sports, culture, massage, commute and lunch benefits
- We care about your learning! We provide Finnish Language lessons to help you settle in to your new environment
- Love breakfast? So do we! Join us at our monthly office breakfast
- We also have you covered by statutory accident insurance
Amazing! What’s next?
If you think Aiven is the place for you, send us your CV, and we’ll get in touch!
How to Recognise and Avoid Employment Scams
There has been a rise in fake job postings used by scammers to get personal information. Please familiarise yourself with the red flags of a potential scam.
Aiven provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for employment without regard to age, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, religion, sexual orientation, physical and mental ability, marital and family status or without regard to any other similar personal attributes. Aiven complies with applicable local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, training and any other terms and conditions related to employment.