Staff Backend Engineer (Platform)
Aiven provides an open source data platform as a service. We help organizations fuel the continuous innovation needed to create cutting edge, data-intensive applications by using the leading open source technologies.
We’ve got the will - our mission: make developers’ lives better, and help companies grow their business sustainably and securely.
We’ve got the way - our values: openness, ownership and courage. We’re proud of our positive and passionate working environment, and it makes us really excited about what we can achieve. With us, you’ll be free to contribute creatively and meaningfully.
We’ve got the funding - our trusted backers: with world-class investors like Atomico, IVP and Earlybird Venture Capital, in 2022 we raised Series D funding of $210M to fuel global expansion, sustainability and diversity in tech. With a recent valuation of $3B, we’re one of the tech world’s most recent unicorns.
We value and celebrate the diversity of our people and invest in building a diverse team. We recognize the many benefits of a diverse workforce and strive for an inclusive workplace that empowers all our colleagues to thrive. We have a journey ahead of us, and we are committed to taking that journey towards being a more diverse and inclusive company.
Come and read more about us at https://aiven.io/blog/what-is-aiven.
We are looking for an experienced backend software engineer to work on our cloud operations platform turning the best open source technologies into frustration-free cloud services. You’ll be part of a team working on the Aiven cloud platform, improving its scalability and reliability, implementing new features as well as extending our product portfolio of open source data technologies.
There are specialization options available in the following areas:
- Cloud infrastructure specialization; cloud APIs, IaC solutions and custom orchestration
- Cloud networking specialization; cloud networking, vpn protocols and tunneling technologies
What You'll Do:
- Drive team and cross-team initiatives together with technical roadmap
- Act as the subject matter expert within the respective specialization
- Ensure the right technical decisions and actions are taken at the right time
- Write high quality, maintainable code with the aim of releasing and monitoring quality features
- Perform peer reviews and participate in technical discussions both at the team level and among the product development engineering domain
- Facilitate improvement in the quality and effectiveness of automated testing and drive function wide efforts to constantly improve test suites and processes
- Be accountable for the quality, security and continuous evolution of system architecture
- Mentor other team member
What We're Looking For:
Don’t worry if your experience doesn’t line up perfectly – we still encourage you to apply! We believe in investing in our crabs’ professional growth.
- Experience with at least one and preferably multiple cloud provider APIs (AWS, GCP, etc.)
- Excellent development skills in Python
- Experience with SQL, RDBMS and database design
- Experience with using Linux in development and production
- Experience with complex distributed systems
- Extensive experience in production software environments
- Experience with test automation of cloud applications
- Fluency in English, verbal and written
Nice to Have:
- Cloud infrastructure engineer specialization:
- Systems programming experience
- Experience with one or more IaC solutions (Terraform, Absible, etc.)
- Experience with orchestration tools (Kubernetes, OpenShift, etc.)
- Cloud networking engineer specialization:
- Experience with security standards compliance in cloud environments
- Experience with one or more vpn protocols such as IPSec or Wireguard
- Strong understanding of the Linux networking stack
- Experience with VPCs, gateways/proxies and load balancing
If you ask us what’s the best thing about working for Aiven, many will probably say it’s the high concentration of talent from around the world that we have here. Enjoy the agile environment of a hyperscale scale-up where you can truly make an impact and have fun while at it.
We invest in you
- Participate in Aiven’s equity plan.
- Dreaming of flexible work arrangements? Look no further. Work in one of our hubs, fully remote, or anything in between.
- Get the equipment you need to set yourself up for success.
- Step up your career game with real employer support (use one of our learning platforms, annual learning budget, and more).
- Get holistic wellbeing support through our global Employee Assistance Program.
Make a difference at Aiven
- Contribute to open source projects that you find meaningful outside of work - and get paid for it. Our Plankton program recognizes extra work to the open source ecosystem for developers and non-developers alike.
- Use up to 5 days per year to volunteer for a good cause of your choice.
- Join one of our team member resource groups - empower yourself and others in missions that resonate with you.
- Your wellbeing matters: we provide professional massage at the office as well as health and fitness benefits through Urban Sport Club membership
- Love breakfast. So do we. Join us at our monthly team breakfast
- Know someone who would be the perfect fit for Aiven? Benefit from our referral bonus programme as soon as you join.
Amazing, What’s next
If you think Aiven is the place for you, send us your CV, and we’ll get in touch!
Aiven provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for employment without regard to age, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, religion, sexual orientation, physical and mental ability, marital and family status or without regard to any other similar personal attributes. Aiven complies with applicable local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, training and any other terms and conditions related to employment.