Senior Backend Engineer - PostgreSQL, MySQL
Open source is our beating heart and it’s something that fuels our work and our culture. It’s where we began. It’s where we’ll always be. Our vision is to become the trusted open source data platform for everyone. We are a Cast of over 400 individuals (‘Crabs’) located across the globe. Why Crabs? Because we believe in thinking sideways. And right now, we’re looking for sideways-thinking engineers.
The Engineering team at Aiven lies at the core of our organization. This is a great opportunity to become an integral member of the team as a Senior Backend Engineer. We look for engineers who can work around problems by finding new angles. Thinking sideways. You will have the opportunity to collaborate with world-class tech people solving the toughest problems, where almost every project you work on is more complex and technically challenging than the previous one. If you relish pushing your technical boundaries, come join us. Because if you can truly think sideways, you’ll never look back.
Who we are
So, how do we become the trusted open source data platform for everyone? By listening closely to our customers and taking action to ensure they achieve their business goals. You see, the software we create is merely a means of delivering value. Our thinking is customer-first. That’s why our customers are at the front and center of all we do. And in the spirit of sideways thinking, we’re by their side as well. Actively helping them solve their challenges. Collaborating. Sharing. And innovating. In other words, it really isn’t just about who we are. It’s about who our customers are – and where they want to be.
We want individuals who can embody our values of ownership, courage, and openness.
What does that mean in practice?
We take ownership of the problems we solve. What we do is about improving life for our customers, enabling them to meet their goals. So we own our decisions and mistakes. Sometimes that takes courage. But we don’t falter – we take on challenges with confidence. And right at our heart is openness. We’re always open to new ideas – from wherever and whoever they come.
We are looking for a backend engineer to work on our cloud operations platform turning the best open source technologies into frustration-free cloud services. You’ll be part of the team that is focused on developing the PostgreSQL & MySQL services and improving their scalability and reliability.
Our philosophy is to automate everything and to avoid repetitive manual work in everything we do. Our own backend systems are mostly implemented in Python with bits of Java, Go and C.
- Writing high quality, maintainable code and releasing quality features
- Performing PR reviews and participating in technical discussions both at the team level and among the product development engineering domain
- Contributing to technical planning and backlog management
- Helping investigate and resolve customer issues
- Mentor and empower other engineers around you
Don’t worry if your experience doesn’t line up perfectly – we still encourage you to apply! We believe in investing in our crabs’ professional growth.
- Excellent development skills in Python
- 3+ years of experience working with PostgreSQL or MySQL
- Experience with optimize queries/schemas
- Experience with backup solutions and backup strategies
- Advanced understanding of Linux OS
- Experience with automated testing
- Distributed systems knowledge
- Fluency in English, verbal and written
- Good understanding of security (software, networking)
- Experience in infrastructure as code
- Experience in cloud DBAAS production environments
- Experience working with Agile methodologies
- Experience in production software environments
If you ask us what’s the best thing about working for Aiven, many will probably say it’s the high concentration of talent from around the world that we have here. Enjoy the agile environment of a hyperscale scale-up where you can truly make an impact and have fun while at it.
We invest in you
- Participate in Aiven’s equity plan.
- Dreaming of flexible work arrangements? Look no further. Work in one of our hubs, fully remote, or anything in between.
- Get the equipment you need to set yourself up for success.
- Step up your career game with real employer support (use one of our learning platforms, annual learning budget, and more).
- Get comprehensive wellbeing support through our global Employee Assistance Program.
Make a difference at Aiven
- Contribute to open source projects that you find relevant outside of work - and get paid for it. Our Plankton program recognizes extra work to the open source ecosystem for developers and non-developers alike.
- Use up to 5 days per year to volunteer for a good cause of your choice.
- Join one of our team member resource groups - empower yourself and others in missions that resonate with you.
As well as the above Global Benefits, we have regional benefits specific to your country of residence. We would be happy to discuss these further with you during the interview process
Amazing, What’s next
If you think Aiven is the place for you, send us your CV, and we’ll get in touch!
How to Recognise and Avoid Employment Scams
There has been a rise in fake job postings used by scammers to get personal information. Please familiarise yourself with the red flags of a potential scam.
Aiven provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for employment without regard to age, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, religion, sexual orientation, physical and mental ability, marital and family status or without regard to any other similar personal attributes. Aiven aligns with applicable local laws governing inclusivity in employment in every location in which the company operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, training and any other terms and conditions related to employment.