Engineering Manager (EverSQL by Aiven)
Open source is our beating heart and it’s something that fuels our work and our culture. It’s where we began. It’s where we’ll always be. Our vision is to become the trusted open source data platform for everyone. We are a Cast of over 400 individuals (‘Crabs’) located across the globe. Why Crabs? Because we believe in thinking sideways. And right now, we’re looking for a sideways-thinking Engineering Manager.
The Engineering team at Aiven lies at the core of our organization. This is a great opportunity to become an integral team member.
We look for engineers who can work around problems by finding new angles. That means both creative and lateral approaches. Thinking sideways.
You will have the opportunity to collaborate with world-class tech people solving the toughest problems, where almost every project you work on is more complex and technically challenging than the previous one.
If you relish pushing your technical boundaries, come join us. Because if you can truly think sideways, you’ll never look back.
Who we are
So, how do we become the trusted open source data platform for everyone? By listening closely to our customers and taking action to ensure they achieve their business goals. You see, the software we create is merely a means of delivering value. Our thinking is customer-first. That’s why our customers are at the front and center of all we do. And in the spirit of sideways thinking, we’re by their side as well. Actively helping them solve their challenges. Collaborating. Sharing. And innovating. In other words, it really isn’t just about who we are. It’s about who our customers are – and where they want to be.
We want individuals who can embody our values of ownership, courage, and openness.
What does that mean in practice?
We take ownership of the problems we solve. What we do is about improving life for our customers, enabling them to meet their goals. So we own our decisions and mistakes. Sometimes that takes courage. But we don’t falter – we take on challenges with confidence. And right at our heart is openness. We’re always open to new ideas – from wherever and whoever they come.
We’re hiring an engineering manager to lead an engineering team working on EverSQL by Aiven. EverSQL offers an AI-powered database optimization platform, allowing customers to accelerate their data workflows, while also reducing costs. Already trusted by more than 100,000 software engineers, the solution reduces development time and saves the cost of database experts by using automatic optimization algorithms for database query tuning, index recommendations and more. EverSQL supports a variety of databases, including PostgreSQL®, MySQL® and more.
The team works on all aspects of the AI performance optimization, across our whole tech stack, but is specifically focused on bringing new product features to life in close collaboration with other teams, while also keeping the technical foundation and delivery of the EverSQL in tip-top shape. The remote and distributed team consists of fantastic full-stack and frontend software engineers concentrating around our tech hubs in Tel-Aviv, Helsinki and Berlin.
We are looking for a hands-on engineering manager who has a keen interest in the business and user behavior, is proactive with product planning, priorisation and tradeoffs, and wants to understand the “Why?” behind all things. As a product-minded engineering manager you communicate well with engineers and non-engineers alike and are interested in how other functions work.
What You'll Do:
Here are some example areas you may work on:
- Plan the team’s roadmap together with product management and the team.
- Managing the team’s backlog.
- Be accountable for the team’s output and performance by supporting the team’s product deliveries.
- Grow the team by hiring excellent engineering talent.
- Offer 1-on-1 coaching and support to the team members as they advance in their careers.
- Create a psychologically safe, high-trust environment where curiosity, healthy debate, and exchange of ideas thrive.
- Facilitate team meetings like planning and retrospectives.
What We're Looking For:
Don’t worry if your experience doesn’t line up perfectly – we still encourage you to apply! We believe in investing in our crabs’ professional growth.
Our engineering managers have a hands-on programming background, and we expect them to have a meaningful say in technical conversations. You’ll probably have at least five years’ hands-on programming experience building full-stack applications, and at least two years’ experience of people management. But more than the years, we care about what you have been doing. We want to hear about the products you shipped, how they were built, what was the impact, and what you learned while doing that.
The range of different products and technologies the team is in touch with is wide, but backend development is at its core. Our backend is built with Java, Python, PostgreSQL, Kafka, and OpenSearch, and our frontend centers on TypeScript, React,Redux and some PHP. We don’t expect you to tackle everything on the list from the get-go, but having prior experience is beneficial for sure.
- Proven track record of leading teams in successful software product deliveries
- Communicate cross-functionally and have a strong product sense
- Experience in recruiting engineering talent
- Experience in agile software development
- Comfortable leading initiatives and presenting to groups
- Fluent communication skills in English, written and verbal
- Experience building full-stack web applications end-to-end, including modern single-page apps
- Experience, preferably hands-on, in public cloud infrastructure and networking (AWS or GCP)
- Vast experience with SQL and relational databases (PostgreSQL, MySQL, etc.)
- Experience designing public RESTful APIs
- Streaming service knowledge (Kafka, etc.)
- Experience working with CI/CD tools (Jenkins, GitLab CI/CD, GitHub Actions, etc.)
- Experience working with linux based operating systems.
If you ask us what’s the best thing about working for Aiven, many will probably say it’s the high concentration of talent from around the world that we have here. Enjoy the agile environment of a hyperscale scale-up where you can truly make an impact and have fun while at it.
We invest in you
- Participate in Aiven’s equity plan.
- Dreaming of flexible work arrangements? Look no further. Work in one of our hubs, fully remote, or anything in between.
- Get the equipment you need to set yourself up for success.
- Step up your career game with real employer support (use one of our learning platforms, annual learning budget, and more).
- Get holistic wellbeing support through our global Employee Assistance Program.
Make a difference at Aiven
- Contribute to open source projects that you find meaningful outside of work - and get paid for it. Our Plankton program recognizes extra work to the open source ecosystem for developers and non-developers alike.
- Use up to 5 days per year to volunteer for a good cause of your choice.
- Join one of our team member resource groups - empower yourself and others in missions that resonate with you.
As well as the above Global Benefits, we have regional benefits specific to your country of residence. We would be happy to discuss these further with you during the interview process.
Amazing, What’s next
If you think Aiven is the place for you, send us your CV, and we’ll get in touch.
How to Recognise and Avoid Employment Scams
Aiven provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for employment without regard to age, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, religion, sexual orientation, physical and mental ability, marital and family status or without regard to any other similar personal attributes. Aiven aligns with applicable local laws governing inclusivity in employment in every location in which the company operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, training and any other terms and conditions related to employment.