Senior Site Reliability Engineer
Open source is our beating heart and it’s something that fuels our work and our culture. It’s where we began. It’s where we’ll always be. Our vision is to become the trusted open source data platform for everyone. We are a Cast of over 400 individuals (‘Crabs’) located across the globe. Why Crabs? Because we believe in thinking sideways. And right now, we’re looking for sideways-thinking Senior Site Reliability Engineer.
The Engineering team at Aiven lies at the core of our organization. This is a great opportunity to become an integral team member as a Senior Site Reliability Engineer.
We look for engineers who can work around problems by finding new angles. That means both creative and lateral approaches. Thinking sideways.
You will have the opportunity to collaborate with world-class tech people solving the toughest problems, where almost every project you work on is more complex and technically challenging than the previous one.
If you relish pushing your technical boundaries, come join us. Because if you can truly think sideways, you’ll never look back.
Who we are
So, how do we become the trusted open source data platform for everyone? By listening closely to our customers and taking action to ensure they achieve their business goals. You see, the software we create is merely a means of delivering value. Our thinking is customer-first. That’s why our customers are at the front and center of all we do. And in the spirit of sideways thinking, we’re by their side as well. Actively helping them solve their challenges. Collaborating. Sharing. And innovating. In other words, it really isn’t just about who we are. It’s about who our customers are – and where they want to be.
We want individuals who can embody our values of ownership, courage, and openness.
What does that mean in practice?
We take ownership of the problems we solve. What we do is about improving life for our customers, enabling them to meet their goals. So we own our decisions and mistakes. Sometimes that takes courage. But we don’t falter – we take on challenges with confidence. And right at our heart is openness. We’re always open to new ideas – from wherever and whoever they come.
About the role:
As a Senior Site Reliability Engineer at Aiven, you will be designing, analyzing and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems. You will demonstrate systematic problem-solving approach, ability to debug and optimize code and automate routine tasks.
You will ensure that Aiven’s services and systems have reliability, uptime appropriate to users' needs and a fast rate of improvement. Apart from monitoring our systems capacity and performance, you will also focus on optimizing existing systems, building infrastructure and eliminating work through automation.
Our systems are implemented in Python with bits of Java, Go and C. We develop and operate a number of complex open source databases such as PostgreSQL, MySQL and Apache Cassandra as well as other open source data technologies like Apache Kafka. You will often be troubleshooting and debugging issues, using your understanding of Linux and networking.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering or relevant experience.
- An understanding of algorithms, data structures, complexity analysis and software design.
- Experience in one or more of the following: Python, Java, Go, C, C++, Perl or Ruby.
- Some experience working with database and messaging systems such as PostgreSQL, MySQL, Elasticsearch, Cassandra, Grafana, InfluxDB, Redis or Kafka
- Good understanding of systems automation and IT Security
- Good analytical skills coupled with strong communication and presentation skills.
- Experience contributing to open source technologies would be an added bonus
- Comfortable with using Linux in a production environment setting.
You will be part of a highly-skilled, tight-knit and growing team, making your contribution essential to what is becoming a truly unique success story. If you’re interested, send us your application and we'll take it from there.
If you ask us what’s the best thing about working for Aiven, many will probably say it’s the high concentration of talent from around the world that we have here. Enjoy the agile environment of a hyperscale scale-up where you can truly make an impact and have fun while at it.
We invest in you
- Participate in Aiven’s equity plan.
- Dreaming of flexible work arrangements? Look no further. Work in one of our hubs, fully remote, or anything in between.
- Get the equipment you need to set yourself up for success.
- Step up your career game with real employer support (use one of our learning platforms, annual learning budget, and more).
- Get holistic wellbeing support through our global Employee Assistance Program.
Make a difference at Aiven
- Contribute to open source projects that you find meaningful outside of work - and get paid for it. Our Plankton program recognizes extra work to the open source ecosystem for developers and non-developers alike.
- Use up to 5 days per year to volunteer for a good cause of your choice.
- Support or mentor earlier stage startups through our Cluster Startup program.
- Join one of our team member resource groups - empower yourself and others in missions that resonate with you.
- We care about your learning. We provide beginners and advanced German lessons to help you settle in to your new environment
- Your wellbeing matters: we provide professional massage at the office as well as health and fitness benefits through Urban Sport Club membership
- Love breakfast. So do we. Join us at our monthly team breakfast
- Know someone who would be the perfect fit for Aiven? Benefit from our referral bonus programme as soon as you join.
Amazing! What’s next?
If you think Aiven is the place for you, send us your CV and we’ll get in touch.
How to Recognise and Avoid Employment Scams
There has been a rise in fake job postings used by scammers to get personal information. Please familiarise yourself with the red flags of a potential scam.
Aiven provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for employment without regard to age, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, religion, sexual orientation, physical and mental ability, marital and family status or without regard to any other similar personal attributes. Aiven complies with applicable local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, training and any other terms and conditions related to employment.