Senior Full-Stack Engineer
Open source is our beating heart and it’s something that fuels our work and our culture. It’s where we began. It’s where we’ll always be. Our vision is to become the trusted open source data platform for everyone. We are a Cast of over 400 individuals (‘Crabs’) located across the globe. Why Crabs? Because we believe in thinking sideways. And right now, we’re looking for sideways-thinking Senior Full-Stack Engineer.
The Engineering team at Aiven lies at the core of our organization. This is a great opportunity to become an integral team member as a Senior Full-Stack Engineer.
We look for engineers who can work around problems by finding new angles. That means both creative and lateral approaches. Thinking sideways.
You will have the opportunity to collaborate with world-class tech people solving the toughest problems, where almost every project you work on is more complex and technically challenging than the previous one.
If you relish pushing your technical boundaries, come join us. Because if you can truly think sideways, you’ll never look back.
Who we are
So, how do we become the trusted open source data platform for everyone? By listening closely to our customers and taking action to ensure they achieve their business goals. You see, the software we create is merely a means of delivering value. Our thinking is customer-first. That’s why our customers are at the front and center of all we do. And in the spirit of sideways thinking, we’re by their side as well. Actively helping them solve their challenges. Collaborating. Sharing. And innovating. In other words, it really isn’t just about who we are. It’s about who our customers are – and where they want to be.
We want individuals who can embody our values of ownership, courage, and openness.
What does that mean in practice?
We take ownership of the problems we solve. What we do is about improving life for our customers, enabling them to meet their goals. So we own our decisions and mistakes. Sometimes that takes courage. But we don’t falter – we take on challenges with confidence. And right at our heart is openness. We’re always open to new ideas – from wherever and whoever they come.
About the role
We’re hiring a senior full-stack engineer to work on our Aiven Console. The Aiven Console enables our users to explore and control their data services via a graphical web user interface. As Aiven Console is often the customer’s first touchpoint with Aiven’s data platform and plays a big part in our product-led growth strategy, we want it to be an intuitive and beautiful experience, while not forgetting the needs of our more experienced users.
We are looking for product-minded engineers who have a keen interest in the business and user behavior, are proactive with product development ideas and tradeoffs, and want to understand the “Why?” behind all things. As a product-minded engineer you communicate well with engineers and non-engineers alike and are interested in how other functions work.
As we are looking for a senior engineer, we expect you to raise the bar for the team through technical mentorship. We’d love you to show us how we can improve what we do. Our teams are proud of what we build and value curiosity, healthy debate, and exchange of ideas.
Here are some example areas you may work on:
- Building the user experience for a new service. (In the past year we introduced Aiven for Apache Flink and Aiven for Clickhouse to the Aiven Console.)
- Creating completely new platform-wide capabilities or extending existing ones. (Like enabling our users to tag their Aiven resources.)
- Designing and implementing new RESTful APIs or improving the performance and capabilities of existing ones.
- Contributing to our company-wide in-house design system.
- Contributing to the team’s backlog by owning the technical planning of a feature delivery.
You’ll probably have at least five years’ experience building full-stack web applications, but more than the years we care about what you have been doing. We want to hear what you’ve worked on, how it was built, and what you learned while doing that.
Our frontend is built with TypeScript, React and Redux, and our backend centers on Python and PostgreSQL. As such, to succeed as a senior full-stack engineer at Aiven you have:
- Strong programming skills, including testing
- Experience building web-facing applications end-to-end, including everything between the browser and the database
- Proficiency in TypeScript
- Experience in Python, or proven ability to learn new programming languages
- Basic knowledge of working with relational databases
- Fluent communication skills in English, written and verbal
If you ask us what’s the best thing about working for Aiven, many will probably say it’s the high concentration of talent from around the world that we have here. Enjoy the agile environment of a hyperscale scale-up where you can truly make an impact and have fun while at it.
We invest in you
- Participate in Aiven’s equity plan.
- Dreaming of flexible work arrangements? Look no further. Work in one of our hubs, fully remote, or anything in between.
- Get the equipment you need to set yourself up for success.
- Step up your career game with real employer support (use one of our learning platforms, annual learning budget, and more).
- Get holistic wellbeing support through our global Employee Assistance Program.
Make a difference at Aiven
- Contribute to open source projects that you find meaningful outside of work - and get paid for it. Our Plankton program recognizes extra work to the open source ecosystem for developers and non-developers alike.
- Use up to 5 days per year to volunteer for a good cause of your choice.
- Support or mentor earlier stage startups through our Cluster Startup program.
- Join one of our team member resource groups - empower yourself and others in missions that resonate with you.
- We care about your learning. We provide beginners and advanced German lessons to help you settle in to your new environment
- Your wellbeing matters: we provide professional massage at the office as well as health and fitness benefits through Urban Sport Club membership
- Love breakfast. So do we. Join us at our monthly team breakfast
- Know someone who would be the perfect fit for Aiven? Benefit from our referral bonus programme as soon as you join.
Amazing! What’s next?
If you think Aiven is the place for you, send us your CV and we’ll get in touch.
How to Recognise and Avoid Employment Scams
There has been a rise in fake job postings used by scammers to get personal information. Please familiarise yourself with the red flags of a potential scam.
Aiven provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for employment without regard to age, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, religion, sexual orientation, physical and mental ability, marital and family status or without regard to any other similar personal attributes. Aiven complies with applicable local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, training and any other terms and conditions related to employment.