Staff Software Engineer (Architecture team)
Open source is our beating heart and it’s something that fuels our work and our culture. It’s where we began. It’s where we’ll always be. Our vision is to become the trusted open source data platform for everyone. We are a Cast of over 400 individuals (‘Crabs’) located across the globe. Why Crabs? Because we believe in thinking sideways. And right now, we’re looking for sideways-thinking Staff Software Engineer.
The Engineering team at Aiven lies at the core of our organization. This is a great opportunity to become an integral team member as a Staff Software Engineer.
We look for engineers who can work around problems by finding new angles. That means both creative and lateral approaches. Thinking sideways.
You will have the opportunity to collaborate with world-class tech people solving the toughest problems, where almost every project you work on is more complex and technically challenging than the previous one.
If you relish pushing your technical boundaries, come join us. Because if you can truly think sideways, you’ll never look back.
Who we are
So, how do we become the trusted open source data platform for everyone? By listening closely to our customers and taking action to ensure they achieve their business goals. You see, the software we create is merely a means of delivering value. Our thinking is customer-first. That’s why our customers are at the front and center of all we do. And in the spirit of sideways thinking, we’re by their side as well. Actively helping them solve their challenges. Collaborating. Sharing. And innovating. In other words, it really isn’t just about who we are. It’s about who our customers are – and where they want to be.
We want individuals who can embody our values of ownership, courage, and openness.
What does that mean in practice?
We take ownership of the problems we solve. What we do is about improving life for our customers, enabling them to meet their goals. So we own our decisions and mistakes. Sometimes that takes courage. But we don’t falter – we take on challenges with confidence. And right at our heart is openness. We’re always open to new ideas – from wherever and whoever they come.
As a staff engineer in the architecture team you contribute to a wide variety of tasks: from helping product teams to achieve their goals to designing and implementing items both small and large around our core product all the way to providing unblocking as a service. This is not a classical “paper architect” role but a healthy mix of contributing to the code base, operational support and helping others to build better software.
As an architecture team member you are responsible for the wellbeing of Aiven platform architecture with other team members. This means that you are able to identify issues of all magnitudes that might or will become problems in the future and able to come up with solutions for those problems.
You should also be able to assume a technical lead role in a virtual team that gets formed for a project type work. This means that you are able to communicate well with people and computers. You also understand that doing everything alone does not scale, but instead you enable and level up other people to solve problems.
What You'll Do:
- Own the wellbeing of the Aiven platform architecture
- Delivering on a architecture team roadmap
- Taking part of (EU business hour) oncall / dayops
- Hands-on code contributions in all parts of the Aiven backend.
- Architecture and software design strategy
- Sets design and quality standards, and how to get there
- Supports and uplevels other technical teams, e.g. by reference designs/implementations, pair programming, reviews
- Early consultation with new products or bigger technical changes
What We're Looking For:
Don’t worry if your experience doesn’t line up perfectly – we still encourage you to apply! We believe in investing in our crabs’ professional growth.
- 10+ years of experience as software engineer
- Expert level proficiency in Python; used as primary programming language and beyond scripting or basic frameworks
- Development experience on one or more cloud providers (GCP, AWS, Azure)
- Experience with databases / data-streaming
- Linux and networking
- Problem solving skills
- Ability to bridge the gap between business and tech
If you ask us what’s the best thing about working for Aiven, many will probably say it’s the high concentration of talent from around the world that we have here. Enjoy the agile environment of a hyperscale scale-up where you can truly make an impact and have fun while at it.
We invest in you
- Participate in Aiven’s equity plan.
- Dreaming of flexible work arrangements? Look no further. Work in one of our hubs, fully remote, or anything in between.
- Get the equipment you need to set yourself up for success.
- Step up your career game with real employer support (use one of our learning platforms, annual learning budget, and more).
- Get holistic wellbeing support through our global Employee Assistance Program.
Make a difference at Aiven
- Contribute to open source projects that you find meaningful outside of work - and get paid for it! Our Plankton program recognizes extra work to the open source ecosystem for developers and non-developers alike.
- Use up to 5 days per year to volunteer for a good cause of your choice.
- Join one of our team member resource groups - empower yourself and others in missions that resonate with you.
- Your wellbeing matters: we provide a wellness benefit, as well as medical insurance.
- Looking after your future: you can benefit from our private pension schemes.
Amazing! What’s next?
If you think Aiven is the place for you, send us your CV and we’ll get in touch.
How to Recognise and Avoid Employment Scams
There has been a rise in fake job postings used by scammers to get personal information. Please familiarise yourself with the red flags of a potential scam.
Here at Aiven, all of our emails relating to recruitment come from an @aiven.io, @greenhouse.io or @eu.greenhouse.io domain and all of our interviews are conducted over video call or in person, our interviews will never occur over text or chat. If you’re unsure of the legitimacy of a job opportunity/offer pertaining to Aiven, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Aiven provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for employment without regard to age, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, religion, sexual orientation, physical and mental ability, marital and family status or without regard to any other similar personal attributes. Aiven complies with applicable local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, training and any other terms and conditions related to employment.
At Aiven we are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities or special needs in our working environment and job application procedures. We make all reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities or who otherwise need support to thrive in the workplace. We are committed to continuously improving workplace accessibility. There is an option to request a discussion in the application process but if you have any questions before applying please write to us at email@example.com.