(Senior) Backend Engineer (Platform Infrastructure, Networking)
Open source is our beating heart and it’s something that fuels our work and our culture. It’s where we began. It’s where we’ll always be. Our vision is to become the trusted open source data platform for everyone. We are a Cast of over 400 individuals (‘Crabs’) located across the globe. Why Crabs? Because we believe in thinking sideways. And right now, we’re looking for sideways-thinking Senior Software Engineer.
The Engineering team at Aiven lies at the core of our organization. This is a great opportunity to become an integral team member as a Senior Software Engineer.
We look for engineers who can work around problems by finding new angles. That means both creative and lateral approaches. Thinking sideways.
You will have the opportunity to collaborate with world-class tech people solving the toughest problems, where almost every project you work on is more complex and technically challenging than the previous one.
If you relish pushing your technical boundaries, come join us. Because if you can truly think sideways, you’ll never look back.
Who we are
So, how do we become the trusted open source data platform for everyone? By listening closely to our customers and taking action to ensure they achieve their business goals. You see, the software we create is merely a means of delivering value. Our thinking is customer-first. That’s why our customers are at the front and center of all we do. And in the spirit of sideways thinking, we’re by their side as well. Actively helping them solve their challenges. Collaborating. Sharing. And innovating. In other words, it really isn’t just about who we are. It’s about who our customers are – and where they want to be.
We want individuals who can embody our values of ownership, courage, and openness.
What does that mean in practice?
We take ownership of the problems we solve. What we do is about improving life for our customers, enabling them to meet their goals. So we own our decisions and mistakes. Sometimes that takes courage. But we don’t falter – we take on challenges with confidence. And right at our heart is openness. We’re always open to new ideas – from wherever and whoever they come.
We are looking for an experienced backend software engineer to work on our cloud operations platform turning the best open source technologies into frustration-free cloud services. You’ll be part of a team working on the Aiven cloud platform, improving its scalability and reliability, implementing new features as well as extending our product portfolio of open source data technologies.
There are specialization options available in the following areas:
- Cloud infrastructure specialization; cloud APIs, IaC solutions and custom orchestration
- Cloud networking specialization; cloud networking, vpn protocols and tunneling technologies
What You'll Do:
Your responsibilities will be:
- Writing high quality, maintainable code and releasing and monitoring quality features
- Performing peer reviews and participating in technical discussions both at the team level and among the product development engineering domain
- Contributing to technical planning and backlog management
- Ensure the backend has strong unit and functional testing coverage
- Advocate for improvements to software quality, security, and performance
- Contribute feature design, system architecture, and product roadmap
- Mentoring junior team members
What We're Looking For:
Don’t worry if your experience doesn’t line up perfectly – we still encourage you to apply! We believe in investing in our crabs’ professional growth.
- Good understanding of security in back end software
- Excellent development skills in Python
- Experience with SQL, RDBMS and database design
- Experience with using Linux in development and production
- Distributed systems knowledge
- Extensive experience in production software environments
- The urge to write automated tests
- Good understanding of CI/CD pipelines
- Fluency in English, verbal and written
- Cloud infrastructure specialization:
- Experience with one or more cloud provider APIs (AWS, GCP, etc.)
- Experience with one or more IaC solutions (Terraform, Absible, etc.)
- Cloud networking specialization:
- Experience with the Linux networking stack
- Experience with one or more vpn protocols such as IPSec or Wireguard
If you ask us what’s the best thing about working for Aiven, many will probably say it’s the high concentration of talent from around the world that we have here. Enjoy the agile environment of a hyperscale scale-up where you can truly make an impact and have fun while at it.
We invest in you
- Participate in Aiven’s equity plan.
- Dreaming of flexible work arrangements? Look no further. Work in one of our hubs , fully remote, or anything in between.
- Get the equipment you need to set yourself up for success.
- Step up your career game with real employer support (use one of our learning platforms, annual learning budget, and more).
- Get holistic wellbeing support through our global Employee Assistance Program.
Make a difference at Aiven
- Contribute to open source projects that you find meaningful outside of work - and get paid for it! Our Plankton program recognizes extra work to the open source ecosystem for developers and non-developers alike.
- Use up to 5 days per year to volunteer for a good cause of your choice.
- Join one of our team member resource groups - empower yourself and others in missions that resonate with you.
- Your wellbeing matters: we provide extensive Occupational Health Care, Dental Care, as well as sports, culture, massage, commute and lunch benefits
- We care about your learning! We provide Finnish Language lessons to help you settle in to your new environment
- Love breakfast? So do we! Join us at our monthly office breakfast
- We also have you covered by statutory accident insurance
Amazing! What’s next?
If you think Aiven is the place for you, send us your CV, and we’ll get in touch!
How to Recognise and Avoid Employment Scams
There has been a rise in fake job postings used by scammers to get personal information. Please familiarise yourself with the red flags of a potential scam.
Aiven provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for employment without regard to age, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, religion, sexual orientation, physical and mental ability, marital and family status or without regard to any other similar personal attributes. Aiven complies with applicable local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, training and any other terms and conditions related to employment.