Product Manager Data Streaming
Open source is our beating heart and it’s something that fuels our work and our culture. It’s where we began. It’s where we’ll always be. Our vision is to become the trusted open source data platform for everyone. We are a Cast of over 400 individuals (‘Crabs’) located across the globe. Why Crabs? Because we believe in thinking sideways. And right now, we’re looking for sideways-thinking Product Manager.
The Engineering team at Aiven lies at the core of our organization. This is a great opportunity to become an integral team member as a Product Manager.
We look for engineers who can work around problems by finding new angles. That means both creative and lateral approaches. Thinking sideways.
You will have the opportunity to collaborate with world-class tech people solving the toughest problems, where almost every project you work on is more complex and technically challenging than the previous one.
If you relish pushing your technical boundaries, come join us. Because if you can truly think sideways, you’ll never look back.
Who we are
So, how do we become the trusted open source data platform for everyone? By listening closely to our customers and taking action to ensure they achieve their business goals. You see, the software we create is merely a means of delivering value. Our thinking is customer-first. That’s why our customers are at the front and center of all we do. And in the spirit of sideways thinking, we’re by their side as well. Actively helping them solve their challenges. Collaborating. Sharing. And innovating. In other words, it really isn’t just about who we are. It’s about who our customers are – and where they want to be.
We want individuals who can embody our values of ownership, courage, and openness.
What does that mean in practice?
We take ownership of the problems we solve. What we do is about improving life for our customers, enabling them to meet their goals. So we own our decisions and mistakes. Sometimes that takes courage. But we don’t falter – we take on challenges with confidence. And right at our heart is openness. We’re always open to new ideas – from wherever and whoever they come.
Our team is looking for a customer-focused product manager who will help us take Aiven’s streaming platform to the next level and power the new generation of critically important workloads.
Building on the Aiven platform, customers can configure, provision, use, and monitor open-source Apache Kafka and Apache Flink seamlessly. Our streaming services are available on major cloud providers, in virtually any region throughout the world. This means. Aiven is running across multiple clouds and has highly advanced platform capabilities which are used globally, supporting more than 150 regions.
As a customer advocate, you will track and be responsible for the success of your product initiatives. In this role, you will join a team of product managers who are accountable for the success of the 11 growing data and observability services. This role will focus on both Kafka and Flink and work to evolve the services to meet our enterprise customers’ needs. These include creative problems to solve stability, scale, and secure our evolving platform. You will work with your team to build product strategies, plans, and well articulated and achievable roadmaps that address these challenges. You will establish partnerships with engineering and design, and regularly work with customers, partners, and platform teams, to learn more about the challenges they face with modern data streaming.
This is a full-time, permanent role, offering fully remote, in-office, and hybrid work options, based on your situation.
What You'll Do:
- Own components of Aiven for Kafka and Flink ecosystem, such as Flink stream processing, Kafka Connect and others.
- Bring empathy for our highly technical customers while enjoying working directly with engineers to solve some of the toughest problems in the industry.
- Partner and align with colleagues across the Product, Solution Architecture, Customer Success, Design, and Marketing teams to better understand our customer needs. You will act to build product strategies and plans to implement what you’ve learned.
- Build, break down, and prioritize the engineering backlog for execution, and build a short and long-term roadmap.
- Drive product planning for your area of responsibility.
- Regularly enable the Aiven go-to-market teams with product messaging, positioning, and thought leadership material.
- Become the driving force of empowerment for team-level decision-making in day-to-day product improvements & bug fixes while maintaining the operability of our services.
- Recognize, generate and propose business cases for product extensions and enhancements considering the additional development capacity and investment needed to make it a reality.
- Act as the business advocate responsible for interpreting market trends, generating customer feedback, identifying growth opportunities, and idea generation while communicating back to the area and team.
What We're Looking For:
Don’t worry if your experience doesn’t line up perfectly – we still encourage you to apply! We believe in investing in our crabs’ professional growth.
- 5+ years experience building technology-powered B2B products, Data Streaming or Data Platform offerings, data analytics services.
- Some knowledge and experience with APIs, infrastructure to support SaaS-based applications - data platforms, real-time messaging queues, pub-sub products, event-driven frameworks, API platforms or similar
- Familiarity with the SaaS business model, ideally for mission-critical applications
- 2+ years of experience as a product manager/product owner for B2B products
- Hands-on experience with modern product discovery techniques to deeply understand real user problems while validating the best possible solutions
- Good grasp of modern cloud infrastructure and the underlying driving forces of the industry
- Familiarity with infrastructure scaling, resiliency, and security is a plus, especially in cloud environment
- Adopts the agile attitude and is proficient in SCRUM, but understands there isn’t a one-size-fits-all solution to the development lifecycle
- Previous experience in a platform product, engineering, or solutions architect role would be advantageous and relevant.
- Hands-on knowledge of one or more open-source, database or analytics services is a big plus.
If you ask us what’s the best thing about working for Aiven, many will probably say it’s the high concentration of talent from around the world that we have here. Enjoy the agile environment of a hyperscale scale-up where you can truly make an impact and have fun while at it.
We invest in you
- Participate in Aiven’s equity plan.
- Dreaming of flexible work arrangements? Look no further. Work in one of our hubs , fully remote, or anything in between.
- Get the equipment you need to set yourself up for success.
- Step up your career game with real employer support (use one of our learning platforms, annual learning budget, and more).
- Get holistic wellbeing support through our global Employee Assistance Program.
Make a difference at Aiven
- Contribute to open source projects that you find meaningful outside of work - and get paid for it! Our Plankton program recognizes extra work to the open source ecosystem for developers and non-developers alike.
- Use up to 5 days per year to volunteer for a good cause of your choice.
- Join one of our team member resource groups - empower yourself and others in missions that resonate with you.
- Your wellbeing matters: we provide extensive Occupational Health Care, Dental Care, as well as sports, culture, massage, commute and lunch benefits
- We care about your learning! We provide Finnish Language lessons to help you settle in to your new environment
- Love breakfast? So do we! Join us at our monthly office breakfast
- We also have you covered by statutory accident insurance
Amazing! What’s next?
If you think Aiven is the place for you, send us your CV, and we’ll get in touch!
How to Recognise and Avoid Employment Scams
There has been a rise in fake job postings used by scammers to get personal information. Please familiarise yourself with the red flags of a potential scam.
Here at Aiven, all of our emails relating to recruitment come from an @aiven.io, @greenhouse.io or @eu.greenhouse.io domain and all of our interviews are conducted over video call or in person, our interviews will never occur over text or chat. If you’re unsure of the legitimacy of a job opportunity/offer pertaining to Aiven, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Aiven provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for employment without regard to age, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, religion, sexual orientation, physical and mental ability, marital and family status or without regard to any other similar personal attributes. Aiven complies with applicable local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, training and any other terms and conditions related to employment.
At Aiven we are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities or special needs in our working environment and job application procedures. We make all reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities or who otherwise need support to thrive in the workplace. We are committed to continuously improving workplace accessibility. There is an option to request a discussion in the application process but if you have any questions before applying please write to us at email@example.com.