Senior Director, Brand and Communications (1-year Contract)
Open source is our beating heart and it’s something that fuels our work and our culture. It’s where we began. It’s where we’ll always be. Our vision is to become the trusted open-source data platform for everyone. We are a Cast of over 400 individuals (‘Crabs’) located across the globe. Why Crabs? Because we believe in thinking sideways.
We want to be the trusted data source data platform for everyone. But there are plenty of people out there who have not yet heard of us. And many of those who don’t yet know what we offer or what we stand for.
We therefore take marketing extremely seriously, and we are always on the lookout for those who have the creative, research, analytical and strategic skills to succeed.
At Aiven our unwavering commitment to our customers drives every facet of our marketing strategy. We believe that a truly customer-centric approach is the key to our success. Whether we're crafting compelling digital campaigns, creating engaging content, orchestrating impactful field events, or nurturing brand awareness – our customers are always at the heart of our efforts. We work seamlessly with regional sales teams and local partners to ensure that our integrated approach revolves around delivering exceptional value and experiences to our customers.
Who we are
So, how do we become the trusted open-source data platform for everyone? By listening closely to our customers and taking action to ensure they achieve their business goals. You see, the software we create is merely a means of delivering value. Our thinking is customer-first. That’s why our customers are at the front and center of all we do. And in the spirit of sideways thinking, we’re by their side as well. Actively helping them solve their challenges. Collaborating. Sharing. And innovating. In other words, it really isn’t just about who we are. It’s about who our customers are – and where they want to be.
We want individuals who can embody our values of ownership, courage, and openness.
What does that mean in practice?
We take ownership of the problems we solve. What we do is about improving life for our customers, enabling them to meet their goals. So, we own our decisions and mistakes. Sometimes that takes courage. But we don’t falter – we take on challenges with confidence. And right at our heart is openness. We’re always open to new ideas – from wherever and whoever they come.
We are looking for a Senior Director, Brand and Communications, for a one-year contract, to lead our brand strategy, brand marketing, and communications efforts. You’ll build compelling stories to both technical and business audiences with the aim to grow their awareness of and trust in Aiven, supporting our vision to empower everyone with the best data technology. You thrive in a fast-paced environment and enjoy working as part of cross-functional teams.
As our business has grown, our key external stakeholders have expanded from the users of our product to technology and business leaders, technology partners, media, industry analysts, and more. As our Brand and Communications leader, you’ll collaborate with different functions of the company to actively shape our brand to be relevant to this diverse audience.
What You'll Do:
- Lead the development, implementation, and evolution of a comprehensive brand marketing strategy to engage customers and the market more broadly, and to increase trust in Aiven.
- Take ownership of our global communications strategy and implementation, external communications, and our thought leadership program.
- Support global event strategy and execution for industry events and conferences.
- Work with Marketing, Product, Sales, Customer Success, and other teams to derive qualitative and quantitative insights around our customers’ motivations, behavior, attitudes, and needs.
- Implement a metrics framework to forecast, track, and analyze the impact of Aiven’s brand and communications initiatives in quantitative terms.
- Act as a trusted partner to executive leadership, providing support for external communications and overall thought leadership.
What We're Looking For:
Don’t worry if your experience doesn’t line up perfectly – we still encourage you to apply! We believe in investing in our crabs’ professional growth.
- Experience in leading in-house brand and communications teams and programs to differentiate within a complex, emerging category
- Hands-on experience building both business and technology narratives within the B2B technology landscape
- Excel at building a solid bench of spokespeople and leading thought leadership work across the organization
- Strong ability to influence others and work cross-functionally, partner with diverse stakeholders
- Strong understanding of technical audiences and communities
- People-focused leader with proven ability to build and scale high performing, collaborative teams with multiple layers of management
- Previous experience in coaching people to thrive in a fast-paced environment
If you ask us what’s the best thing about working for Aiven, many will probably say it’s the high concentration of talent from around the world that we have here. Enjoy the agile environment of a hyperscale scale-up where you can truly make an impact and have fun while at it.
We invest in you
- Participate in Aiven’s equity plan.
- Dreaming of flexible work arrangements? Look no further. Work in one of our hubs, fully remote, or anything in between.
- Get the equipment you need to set yourself up for success.
- Step up your career game with real employer support (use one of our learning platforms, annual learning budget, and more).
- Get holistic wellbeing support through our global Employee Assistance Program.
Make a difference at Aiven
- Contribute to open-source projects that you find meaningful outside of work - and get paid for it! Our Plankton program recognizes extra work to the open-source ecosystem for developers and non-developers alike.
- Use up to 5 days per year to volunteer for a good cause of your choice.
- Join one of our team member resource groups - empower yourself and others in missions that resonate with you.
- Your wellbeing matters: we’ve got your wellbeing covered with private medical & dental health insurance, as well as a childbirth cash benefit.
- Need insurance? We’ve got you covered - benefit from our: Employer's liability insurance, Personal Accident, Illness & Travel Insurance, Group Life Assurance, Office Insurance, Group Income Protection and Business & Leisure Travel Accident Insurance.
- Looking after your future: benefit from our provided Pension Plan.
Amazing! What’s next?
If you think Aiven is the place for you, send us your CV and we’ll get in touch.
How to Recognise and Avoid Employment Scams
There has been a rise in fake job postings used by scammers to get personal information. Please familiarise yourself with the red flags of a potential scam.
Here at Aiven, all of our emails relating to recruitment come from an @aiven.io, @greenhouse.io or @eu.greenhouse.io domain and all of our interviews are conducted over video call or in person, our interviews will never occur over text or chat. If you’re unsure of the legitimacy of a job opportunity/offer pertaining to Aiven, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us at email@example.com.
Aiven provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for employment without regard to age, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, religion, sexual orientation, physical and mental ability, marital and family status or without regard to any other similar personal attributes. Aiven complies with applicable local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, training and any other terms and conditions related to employment.
At Aiven we are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities or special needs in our working environment and job application procedures. We make all reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities or who otherwise need support to thrive in the workplace. We are committed to continuously improving workplace accessibility. There is an option to request a discussion in the application process but if you have any questions before applying please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.