Principal Backend Engineer
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2023
Everything happens somewhere - which is why spatial analytics is fundamental to companies trying to understand the “where” and the “why” of their business. CARTO is the leading cloud-native location intelligence platform, trusted by data scientists, data analysts and developers from companies such as Vodafone, IKEA, BT, Coca-Cola and Mastercard to provide geospatial insights for use cases such as site selection, geomarketing, route optimization, network planning and much more.
With an exceptionally diverse team of 170 people spread across the US and Europe, CARTO (backed by Accel Partners, Salesforce Ventures, Earlybird Ventures, and Kibo Ventures, among others) is changing the way companies analyze location data - making it simple to do this straight out of modern, cloud data warehouses. Redefining its category, the company has grown rapidly in recent years providing a compelling alternative to legacy GIS software.
CARTO has built the most advanced location intelligence platform which connects directly to the most used Data Warehouses in the industry such as Google’s BigQuery, Amazon Redshift, Snowflake and Databricks; thus, allowing our partners and customers to do location intelligence and geospatial analysis directly where their data lives opening limitless possibilities for their businesses.
Our mission is to provide an easy way to work with geospatial data on those data warehouses, without requiring our customer to move their data or creating a custom ETL, and to take advantage of the performance and horizontal scalability of those data warehouses that can process TB of data in seconds.
Today, CARTO platform is a preferred partner for adavanced analytics in BigQuery, Snowflake, Redshift and Databricks. Our main tool products are Builder and Workflows.
What are we looking for
We are looking for a Principal Backend Engineer to join our backend team to work in CARTO Maps API.
This position is primarily remote. As a matter of fact, CARTO engineering staff is mostly working remotely right now, but we do have offices in Madrid, and Seville in Spain. Ideally, you would be in a compatible time zone with Central European Time— but we are flexible.
- Work as a principal engineer for CARTO Maps and SQL APIs where you will be mainly focused in developing it further using NodeJS and Typescript.
- Be responsible for the performance and stability of APIs with billions of calls per month and hundreds of thousands users.
- Push Google BigQuery, Snowflake, Redshift and Databricks to their limits. You’ll also get the chance of understanding the internals of all these data warehouses.
- Work on defining and advancing new standards in the geospatial industry like spatio-temporal data or spatial indexes (h3/quadbin) to support visualizations of hundreds of millions of rows.
- Define new data standards to support the new requirements of the industry. For example: geoparquet or evolve the MVT format.
- A solid 3+ years experience as a backend developer, with a mature approach to the job and related tools and processes (git/GitHub, documentation, testing,...).
- Demonstrable experience working with APIs and databases.
- Strong knowledge of SQL and experience writing performance queries to read large datasets.
- You are familiar with managing performance with databases and concepts like indexes, clustering, partitions, etc.
- Experience in building scalable and high-performance distributed APIs.
- Know how to debug errors in distributed APIs using logging and monitoring tools
- Fluent using Docker.
Nice to have
- Sys/devops background
- Experience working with geospatial technology and spatial SQL.
- Earlier experience working with a cloud datawarehouse like Redshift, BigQuery, Snowflake or Databricks.
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform or AWS
- Competitive, results-based compensation
- Access to our employee stock options plan
- Private medical insurance
- Flexible work hours in a focused but casual environment
- Education Stipend
- Flexible compensation
- English classes
- A big vision: to help the world use location-based data to make better decisions. We believe that openness and sustainability are baked into this vision, and we’re sharing it with the world.
- Contribute to a platform used by top companies around the world. Your work will have a direct impact on our users and clients.
Our technology stack
- Serverless platform and architecture
- CI/CD and testing with modern tools like Playwright
Do you feel that you don't check all of the requirements? At CARTO we believe that professional development happens through teaching and learning from your peers and managers. Even if you’re uncertain about whether you have the experience we’re looking for, please apply if this position sparks your curiosity.
A diversity of identity, perspective, and experience makes us stronger. We welcome you to apply to CARTO regardless of your background, age, gender, ethnicity, orientation, or ability.
To learn more about us, please visit our blog or follow us on Twitter (@carto) or Instagram (@cartohq).
Not the right job for you? Take a look at the rest of our openings at carto.com/careers