Senior Front- End Engineer
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2023
Everything happens somewhere - which is why spatial analytics is fundamental to companies trying to understand the “where” and the “why” of their business. CARTO is the leading cloud-native location intelligence platform, trusted by data scientists, data analysts and developers from companies such as Vodafone, IKEA, BT, Coca-Cola and Mastercard to provide geospatial insights for use cases such as site selection, geomarketing, route optimization, network planning and much more.
With an exceptionally diverse team of 150 people spread across the US and Europe, CARTO (backed by Accel Partners, Salesforce Ventures, Earlybird Ventures, and Kibo Ventures, among others) is changing the way companies analyze location data - making it simple to do this straight out of modern, cloud data warehouses. Redefining its category, the company has grown rapidly in recent years providing a compelling alternative to legacy GIS software.
CARTO with its new CARTO 3 platform has built the most advanced location intelligence platform which connects directly to the most used Data Warehouses in the industry such as Google’s BigQuery, Amazon Redshift, Snowflake and Databricks; thus, allowing our partners and customers to do location intelligence and geospatial analysis directly where their data lives opening limitless possibilities for their businesses.
The frontend team at CARTO is composed of 8 engineers, all of them working remotely from different parts of Europe (Spain, Poland and Czech Republic). The position is fully remote, but ideally, you would be in a compatible time zone with these locations.
The frontend team maintains several products at CARTO:
- Workspace: the dashboard that controls our product. It uses React + Sagas + Redux.
- Builder: WebGL-powered, high-performance web application for geospatial analytic visualizations. Based on the well-known Open Source project kepler.gl. React + Redux.
- CARTO for React: library/framework based on Create React App to develop applications using CARTO and React.
- deck.gl is one of the most popular Open Source mapping libraries, it’s a WebGL-powered reactive framework for visual exploratory data analysis of large datasets. Our CTO belongs to the technical steering committee and our team members are very active committers on this repo. So far, our major contributions to it are the MVTLayer, the CARTO module, the integration with Google Maps, and the following extensions: MaskExtension, CollisionFilterExtension. In 2023, we launched, together with the Google Maps team, the integration of deck.gl with Google 3D Tiles.
- Work mainly on Builder, our flagship product to visualize and analyze geospatial data.
- Collaborate with deck.gl project— Given that Builder is a UI for deck.gl you will need to contribute in both projects.
- Define and maintain the architecture of a large enterprise product.
- Be responsible for guaranteeing our code base keeps its quality as it grows.
- Have an opportunity to work with some world-class geospatial engineers in the industry.
- 3+ years of experience in web development.
- You are fluent with Typescript.
- Experience with Front-End technologies including React, Redux, React Hooks, styled-components, and Webpack or Vite .
- 1 year of experience building data visualization applications or libraries for the web
- Excellent knowledge for tooling and modern development practices (git/github, documentation, testing, profiling...).
- At ease with technology, able to quickly pick up new tech stacks and troubleshoot.
- Fluent written & spoken English.
- Autonomy, curiosity, & good energy.
- A true will to teach & learn from your coworkers (pair programming, code reviews…)
Nice to have
- Experience with geospatial visualization or mapping libraries like Deck.gl, Google Maps, Mapbox GL or MapLibre, Leaflet, ArcGIS Map SDK, OpenLayers or Cesium.
- You are fluent in SQL.
- Experience working remotely
- Competitive, results-based compensation, plus an annual bonus of up to 10% based on company objectives.
- Being part of a team that is sitting at the front of a revolution on the GIS market together with next-generation Cloud Data Warehouses.
- Access to our Employee Stock Options Plan
- Private Medical Insurance
- A great, high-qualified and motivated team to work with
- Flexible hours.
Do you feel that you don't check all of the requirements? At CARTO we believe that professional development happens through teaching and learning from your peers and managers. Even if you’re uncertain about whether you have the experience we’re looking for, please apply if this position sparks your curiosity.
A diversity of identity, perspective, and experience makes us stronger. We welcome you to apply to CARTO regardless of your background, age, gender, ethnicity, orientation, or ability.
To learn more about us, please visit our blog or follow us on Twitter (@carto) or Instagram (@cartohq).Not the right job for you? Take a look at the rest of our openings at carto.com/careers