Director of Engineering
Remote · Spain
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2023
Everything happens somewhere - which is why spatial analytics is fundamental to companies trying to understand the “where” and the “why” of their business. CARTO is the leading cloud-native location intelligence platform, trusted by data scientists, data analysts and developers from companies such as Vodafone, IKEA, BT, Coca-Cola and Mastercard to provide geospatial insights for use cases such as site selection, geomarketing, route optimization, network planning and much more.
With an exceptionally diverse team of 170 people spread across the US and Europe, CARTO (backed by Accel Partners, Salesforce Ventures, Earlybird Ventures, and Kibo Ventures, among others) is changing the way companies analyze location data - making it simple to do this straight out of modern, cloud data warehouses. Redefining its category, the company has grown rapidly in recent years providing a compelling alternative to legacy GIS software.
CARTO has built the most advanced location intelligence platform which connects directly to the most used Data Warehouses in the industry such as Google’s BigQuery, Amazon Redshift, Snowflake and Databricks; thus, allowing our partners and customers to do location intelligence and geospatial analysis directly where their data lives opening limitless possibilities for their businesses.
Our mission is to provide an easy way to work with geospatial data on those data warehouses, without requiring our customer to move their data or creating a custom ETL, and to take advantage of the performance and horizontal scalability of those data warehouses that can process TB of data in seconds.
Today, CARTO platform is a preferred partner for advanced analytics in BigQuery, Snowflake, Redshift and Databricks. Our main tool products are Builder and Workflows.
What are we looking for
We are looking for a Director of Engineering to lead the full product engineering team at CARTO.
The engineering team of CARTO is composed by ~40 engineers that we plan to grow to 45 .
- Work with a productive and high-quality engineering team developing world-class software.
- Be the main responsible for the delivery of the product team, the software delivered by CARTO should meet the level of quality expected for enterprise software.
- Establish a culture of excellence and ownership across the organization with a mindset of continuous improvement towards your direct reports and skip-levels which might lead to iterative process improvements across the teams.
- In CARTO our planning is continuous, product managers (and other team members) create initiatives in a continuous way, with your team you need to analyze and provide high-level estimations for those initiatives. Product managers will use those estimations to prioritize initiatives in the roadmap.
- Lead the quarterly product plan: Every quarter, product and engineering create a plan with the work to be done, you will work on the creation of this plan (together with the product managers, tech leads, and CTO).
- Supervision and planning of the iterations (we follow a “relaxed” scrum methodology): set specific goals every two weeks to ensure we’re on track with the general plan. Supervise and help the technical/product team to accomplish the goals of each iteration.
- Need to react quickly to unexpected situations and find a solution which minimizes the impact on customers.
- Create a good bridge between product management and engineering to make sure we don’t spend too much time on something that’s not valuable for the product. To find workarounds bringing efficiencies satisfying both the product and engineering team.
- Always be looking to simplify our product/technology with a growth mindset.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field—or equivalent practical experience.
- 5+ years experience in leading engineering teams.
- Strong experience building/delivering enterprise software
- Infrastructure background with at least one of the main cloud vendors (GCP, AWS or Azure).
- Experience delivering on-premise software with Docker and Kubernetes.
- Strong development skills. You need to have a full-stack background to guarantee you have enough technical criteria to validate the work of your team.
Nice to have
- As CARTO is a geospatial platform, our final customer is many times a developer who want to build a geospatial application; so you should have demonstrable experience building a product for developers.
- Geospatial industry knowledge.
- Earlier experience working with a cloud datawarehouse like Redshift, BigQuery, Snowflake, or Databricks.
- Competitive, results-based compensation
- Access to our employee stock options plan
- Private medical insurance
- Flexible work hours in a focused but casual environment
- Education Stipend
- Flexible compensation
- English classes
- A big vision: to help the world use location-based data to make better decisions. We believe that openness and sustainability are baked into this vision, and we’re sharing it with the world.
- Contribute to a platform used by top companies around the world. Your work will have a direct impact on our users and clients.
Do you feel that you don't check all of the requirements? At CARTO we believe that professional development happens through teaching and learning from your peers and managers. Even if you’re uncertain about whether you have the experience we’re looking for, please apply if this position sparks your curiosity.
A diversity of identity, perspective, and experience makes us stronger. We welcome you to apply to CARTO regardless of your background, age, gender, ethnicity, orientation, or ability.
To learn more about us, please visit our blog or follow us on Twitter (@carto) or Instagram (@cartohq).Not the right job for you? Take a look at the rest of our openings at carto.com/careers