Remote · Spain
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2023
Everything happens somewhere - which is why spatial analytics is fundamental to companies trying to understand the “where” and the “why” of their business. CARTO is the leading cloud-native location intelligence platform, trusted by data scientists, data analysts and developers from companies such as Vodafone, IKEA, BT, Coca-Cola and Mastercard to provide geospatial insights for use cases such as site selection, geomarketing, route optimization, network planning and much more.
With an exceptionally diverse team of 170 people spread across the US and Europe, CARTO (backed by Accel Partners, Salesforce Ventures, Earlybird Ventures, and Kibo Ventures, among others) is changing the way companies analyze location data - making it simple to do this straight out of modern, cloud data warehouses. Redefining its category, the company has grown rapidly in recent years providing a compelling alternative to legacy GIS software.
CARTO has built the most advanced location intelligence platform which connects directly to the most used Data Warehouses in the industry such as Google’s BigQuery, Amazon Redshift, Snowflake and Databricks; thus, allowing our partners and customers to do location intelligence and geospatial analysis directly where their data lives opening limitless possibilities for their businesses.
Our mission is to provide an easy way to work with geospatial data on those data warehouses, without requiring our customer to move their data or creating a custom ETL, and to take advantage of the performance and horizontal scalability of those data warehouses that can process TB of data in seconds.
Today, CARTO platform is a preferred partner for advanced analytics in BigQuery, Snowflake, Redshift and Databricks. Our main tool products are Builder and Workflows.
- Lead, guide, and mentor the backend team at CARTO. A productive and high-quality engineering team (8 engineers) developing world-class software.
- Responsible for the evolution and maintenance of all the CARTO APIs. We have both public and private APIS.
- Guarantee the software delivered by the backend team meets the standard of quality, scales properly and it’s maintainable as we grow.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including frontend developers, product managers, QA engineers … to successfully execute the initiatives in our roadmap.
- A solid 3+ years of experience as a backend developer, with a mature approach to the job and related tools and processes (git/GitHub, documentation, testing,...).
- 2+ years of experience leading and managing a backend team.
- Ability to analyze complex technical issues and provide effective solutions.
- Demonstrable experience working with scalable, distributed, and high-performance APIs and databases.
- Strong SQL knowledge and experience writing performance queries to read large datasets.
- You have experience dealing with performance with databases and concepts like indexes, clustering, partitions, etc.
- Know how to debug errors in distributed APIs using logging and monitoring tools
- Fluent using Docker.
Nice to have
- Geospatial industry knowledge.
- NodeJS and/or Typescript.
- Earlier experience working with a cloud data warehouse like Redshift, BigQuery, Snowflake, or Databricks.
- Competitive, results-based compensation
- Access to our employee stock options plan
- Private medical insurance
- Flexible work hours in a focused but casual environment
- Education Stipend
- Flexible compensation
- English classes
- A big vision: to help the world use location-based data to make better decisions. We believe that openness and sustainability are baked into this vision, and we’re sharing it with the world.
- Contribute to a platform used by top companies around the world. Your work will have a direct impact on our users and clients.
Do you feel that you don't check all of the requirements? At CARTO we believe that professional development happens through teaching and learning from your peers and managers. Even if you’re uncertain about whether you have the experience we’re looking for, please apply if this position sparks your curiosity.
A diversity of identity, perspective, and experience makes us stronger. We welcome you to apply to CARTO regardless of your background, age, gender, ethnicity, orientation, or ability.
To learn more about us, please visit our blog or follow us on Twitter (@carto) or Instagram (@cartohq).Not the right job for you? Take a look at the rest of our openings at carto.com/careers