Spain · Remote
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2023
Everything happens somewhere - which is why spatial analytics is fundamental to companies trying to understand the “where” and the “why” of their business. CARTO is the leading cloud-native location intelligence platform, trusted by data scientists, data analysts, and developers from companies such as Vodafone, IKEA, Decathlon, Coca-Cola, and Mastercard to provide geospatial insights for use cases such as site selection, geomarketing, route optimization, network planning and much more. With an exceptionally diverse team of 170 people spread across the US and Europe, CARTO (backed by Accel Partners, Salesforce Ventures, Earlybird Ventures, and Kibo Ventures, among others) is changing the way companies analyze location data - making it simple to do this straight out of modern, cloud data warehouses. Redefining its category, the company has grown rapidly in recent years providing a compelling alternative to legacy GIS software.
To continue this growth, our CARTO Infrastructure team is looking for an enthusiastic Principal DevOps Engineer to help us scale up our groundbreaking CARTO Cloud-Native product.
- Be part of the infrastructure team which is responsible for the stability (SLA and SLO) of CARTO’s production and non-production environments.
- Design, build, and operate fully automated, highly scalable, efficient, and reliable platform infrastructures based on Kubernetes and Cloud Services.
- Ensure the enhancement of the degree of automation as well as the availability of our platform components by developing ”Infrastructure as Code“ using Terraform and by providing appropriate tests, monitoring procedures, and analysis tools.
- Work on new initiatives of the product team, aligning with the development processes of the wider engineering organization.
- Understand and contribute to the upkeep of our CI / CD (Google Cloud Build, GitHub Actions) also contributing improvement ideas moving forward.
- Develop new tools (Node.js, Python, Go …) that will help us to provide a better service to both our internal teams and our clients.
- Develop and manage HELM charts, to keep improving our Self Hosted product to make it more robust and compatible with cloud providers' k8s services (GKE, AKS, EKS …)
- You will work with several monitoring services: google cloud monitoring, Prometheus, GHoneycomb, PagerDuty… Observability is top-of-mind for our team
- Perform Oncall work on a shift basis
- Experience working within a large team and moving forward technical initiatives with a high degree of independence
- Expertise with Terraform, or any other IaC tool
- Familiar with cloud providers. CARTO mainly works with GCP, but any other expertise with other cloud providers is more than welcome
- Familiar with cloud security terms: IAM, VPC, IAP …
- Debugging mindset and eager to fix issues
- Experience with Kubernetes, HELM charts, and Docker
- Linux knowledge (containers, systemd, signals …)
- Development skills and with a good database knowledge (PostgreSQL is a plus)
- Very good communication skills, both conversational and written, as well as a fluent English level
- A desire to use and learn the latest technologies while keeping stability in mind.
We will be fascinated if …
- You have experience with PostgreSQL and other warehouses like BigQuery, Redshift, or Snowflake
- You have knowledge with any of the programming languages we use: NodeJS, Ruby, Python, Go
- You have experience with CDN
- You have faced a migration from legacy Infrastructure to “cloud native”
- You have experience with maps and GIS
- Competitive, results-based compensation
- Access to our employee stock options plan
- 24 days vacation
- 100% remote, with offices in Madrid and Seville.
- Private medical insurance
- Flexible work hours in a focused but casual environment
- Education Stipend
- Flexible compensation
- English classes
- A big vision: to help the world use location-based data to make better decisions. We believe that openness and sustainability are baked into this vision, and we share it with the world.
- Contribute to a platform used by top companies around the world. Your work will have a direct impact on our users and clients.
Do you feel that you don't check all of the requirements? At CARTO we believe that professional development happens through teaching and learning from your peers and managers. Even if you’re uncertain whether you have the experience we’re looking for, please apply if this position sparks your curiosity.
Diversity of identity, perspective, and experience makes us stronger. We welcome you to apply to CARTO regardless of your background, age, gender, ethnicity, orientation, or ability.
To learn more about us, please visit our blog or follow us on Twitter (@carto) or Instagram (@cartohq).Not the right job for you? Take a look at the rest of our openings at carto.com/careers