Spain · Remote
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2023
Everything happens somewhere - which is why spatial analytics is fundamental to companies trying to understand the “where” and the “why” of their business. CARTO is the leading cloud-native location intelligence platform, trusted by data scientists, data analysts and developers from companies such as Vodafone, IKEA, BT, Coca-Cola, to provide geospatial insights for use cases such as site selection, geomarketing, route optimization, network planning and much more.
With an exceptionally diverse team of 150 people spread across the US and Europe, CARTO (backed by Accel Partners, Salesforce Ventures, Earlybird Ventures, and Kibo Ventures, among others) is changing the way companies analyze location data - making it simple to do this straight out of modern, cloud data warehouses. Redefining its category, the company has grown rapidly in recent years providing a compelling alternative to legacy GIS software.
CARTO with its new CARTO 3 platform has built the most advanced location intelligence platform which connects directly to the most used Data Warehouses in the industry such as Google’s BigQuery, Amazon Redshift, Snowflake and Databricks; thus, allowing our partners and customers to do location intelligence and geospatial analysis directly where their data lives opening limitless possibilities for their businesses.
The Accounts & Workspace team at CARTO is composed of 7 engineers, all of them working remotely. The position is indeed fully remote, but you should be in a compatible time zone, to be able to have some sync meetings (ideally 3-4 h around Central European Time)
The Accounts & Workspace team maintains & evolves the dashboard that controls our product, the main internal APIs that support it (interacting with our DBs & external datawarehouses) and the whole integration with Auth0, as the main service for authentication/authorization.
On the frontend side, where this position is focused on, we use React + Redux / Sagas + React Query.
Other frontend areas to collaborate with, will be:
- CARTO for React: library/framework to develop applications using CARTO and React & to manage our Design System
- Builder: WebGL-powered, high-performance web application for geospatial analytic visualizations. Based on the well-known Open Source project kepler.gl. React + Redux
- Workflows: our no-code workflow design tool to automate data preparation & analysis pipelines in geo spatial.
- deck.gl is one of the most popular Open Source mapping libraries, it’s a WebGL-powered reactive framework for visual exploratory data analysis of large datasets. Our CTO belongs to the technical steering committee and our team members are very active committers on this repo. So far, our major contributions to it are the MVTLayer, the CARTO module, the integration with Google Maps, and the following extensions: MaskExtension, CollisionFilterExtension. In 2023, we launched, together with the Google Maps team, the integration of deck.gl with Google 3D Tiles.
- Work mainly on Workspace, the dashboard where our users start their main interactions with our platform, focused on UI / React work with TypeScript and React
- Collaborate with other teams & product areas as required, especially Workflows & Builder
- Use & improve our current Design System, based on MUI and maintained in our CARTO for React library.
- Be responsible for not just keeping but improving our codebase quality.
- Have an opportunity to work with some world-class engineers and learn a ton about this exciting geospatial industry
- 3+ years of relevant experience in web development.
- Fluency with Typescript.
- Experience (and real understanding) on Front-End technologies including React, Redux, React Hooks and styled-components.
- Excellent knowledge about tooling and modern development practices (git/github, documentation, testing, profiling, Webpack / Vite...)
- At ease with technology, able to quickly pick up new tech stacks and troubleshoot.
- Fluent written & spoken English
- Autonomy, curiosity & good energy.
- A true will to teach & learn from your coworkers (discussions, pair programming, code reviews…)
Nice to have
- Experience creating / improving Design Systems, working side by side with Design teams and tools such as Storybook.
- Experience with geospatial visualization or mapping libraries like Deck.gl, Google Maps, Mapbox GL or MapLibre,.
- Fluency in SQL.
- Experience as tech leader (eg: architecture definition in projects, especially with other experts from backend or infra)
- Experience working remotely.
- Competitive, results-based compensation
- Access to our employee stock options plan
- Private medical insurance
- Flexible work hours in a focused but casual environment
- Education Stipend
- English classes
- A big vision: to help the world use location-based data to make better decisions. We believe that openness and sustainability are baked into this vision, and we’re sharing it with the world.
- Contribute to a platform used by top companies around the world. Your work will have a direct impact on our users and clients.
Do you feel that you don't check all of the requirements? At CARTO we believe that professional development happens through teaching and learning from your peers and managers. Even if you’re uncertain about whether you have the experience we’re looking for, please apply if this position sparks your curiosity.
A diversity of identity, perspective, and experience makes us stronger. We welcome you to apply to CARTO regardless of your background, age, gender, ethnicity, orientation, or ability.
To learn more about us, please visit our blog or follow us on Twitter (@carto) or Instagram (@cartohq).Not the right job for you? Take a look at the rest of our openings at carto.com/careers