Senior Full-Stack Engineer
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2023
Everything happens somewhere - which is why spatial analytics is fundamental to companies trying to understand the “where” and the “why” of their business. CARTO is the leading cloud-native location intelligence platform, trusted by data scientists, data analysts, and developers from companies such as Vodafone, IKEA, BT, Coca-Cola, and Mastercard to provide geospatial insights for use cases such as site selection, geo-marketing, route optimization, network planning and much more.
With an exceptionally diverse team of 170 people spread across the US and Europe, CARTO (backed by Accel Partners, Salesforce Ventures, Earlybird Ventures, and Kibo Ventures, among others) is changing the way companies analyze location data - making it simple to do this straight out of modern, cloud data warehouses. Redefining its category, the company has grown rapidly in recent years providing a compelling alternative to legacy GIS software.
CARTO has built the most advanced location intelligence platform which connects directly to the most used Data Warehouses in the industry such as Google’s BigQuery, Amazon Redshift, Snowflake, and Databricks; thus, allowing our partners and customers to do location intelligence and geospatial analysis directly where their data lives opening limitless possibilities for their businesses.
Our mission is to provide an easy way to work with geospatial data on those data warehouses, without requiring our customer to move their data or create a custom ETL, and to take advantage of the performance and horizontal scalability of those data warehouses that can process TB of data in seconds.
Today, the CARTO platform is a preferred partner for advanced analytics in BigQuery, Snowflake, Redshift, and Databricks. With hundreds of thousands of users as of today, we are pioneering a new community of Spatial Data Scientists. Check out our yearly Spatial Data Science Conference.
This position is primarily remote, but we are looking for a candidate based in a compatible time zone with Central European Time. CARTO engineering staff is mostly working remotely, but we have offices in Madrid and Seville in Spain
What we are looking for
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer with experience in full-stack development to join our multidisciplinary product team and work on pioneer projects for data management, visualization, and analytics. An engineer who is passionate about working on product development, frontend, backend, and databases, and who is also willing to impact hundreds of thousands of analysts and data scientists around the world.
There has been a lot of work done on adding spatial capabilities to relational databases. However, we are starting to see the trend moving towards next-generation data warehouses like Google BigQuery, Snowflake, Amazon Redshift, or open-source like Postgres, Spark, etc. These new distributed computing systems provide a unique opportunity to tackle really big spatial problems.
At CARTO, we are building the next-generation geospatial warehouse on top of the best data warehouses to take full advantage of performance and scalability capabilities and process huge datasets without moving data in and out of the platform.
These are the main projects the team is responsible for:
- Workflows: a powerful analytics application to build geospatial analyses visually. This tool provides a set of native functions complemented with the ones in our Analytics Toolbox.
- Analytics Toolbox: a set of SQL functions and procedures to provide spatial analytics to data warehouses such as Google BigQuery, Snowflake, Amazon Redshift, and Postgres.
- Data Observatory: a great collection of public and premium geospatial datasets (+11,000). We manage the entire flow, from data ingestion to processing and distribution.
We are working closely with engineers from Google, Amazon, Snowflake, and Databricks, to achieve the best integration and performance and provide the best capabilities to our customers.
Now we are looking for a geospatial expert to join our talented team of engineers to develop new features, make them available in other data warehouses, and integrate them with our platform to be consumed by data scientists and data engineers.
If you love to be in contact with top engineers in geospatial data, this is your place!
- Be part of the team responsible for Workflows, Analytics Toolbox, and Data Observatory (6 engineers) developing world-class software around geospatial.
- Build the next-generation geo-analytics platform for developers and data scientists at different levels: advanced frontend applications, backend APIs, and database analytics.
- Lead and manage tech initiatives, from task planning to architecture design, research, and definition.
- Apply good development practices: clean code, testing, documentation, and code reviews.
- Push BigQuery, Snowflake, Redshift, and Databricks to their limits. You’ll also get to understand the internals of all these data warehouses.
- A solid 3+ years of experience as a full-stack developer, with a mature approach to the job and related tools and processes (git/GitHub, documentation, testing,...).
- Strong knowledge of SQL and experience writing performant queries.
- Experience in building high-performance APIs and developing web applications.
- Able to learn new tech stacks quickly and proficiently.
- Ability to analyze complex technical issues and provide effective solutions.
- Experience having managed projects taking the role of lead developer inside the team.
- Autonomy, curiosity, good energy, and a collaborative mindset.
Nice to have
- Geospatial industry knowledge.
- Knowledge of React, and Node.js.
- Fluency with TypeScript.
- Experience with modern Data Warehouses.
- Competitive, results-based compensation
- Access to our employee stock options plan
- Private medical insurance
- Flexible work hours in a focused but casual environment
- Education Stipend
- English classes
- A big vision: to help the world use location-based data to make better decisions. We believe that openness and sustainability are baked into this vision, and we’re sharing it with the world.
- Contribute to a platform used by top companies around the world. Your work will have a direct impact on our users and clients.
Do you feel that you need to check all of the requirements? At CARTO we believe that professional development happens through teaching and learning from your peers and managers. Even if you’re uncertain about whether you have the experience we’re looking for, please apply if this position sparks your curiosity.
A diversity of identity, perspective, and experience makes us stronger. We welcome you to apply to CARTO regardless of your background, age, gender, ethnicity, orientation, or ability.