Quality Assurance & Food Safety Manager
Do you want to build a tastier future through cutting-edge technologies? We are looking for a mission-driven, creative, and committed Quality Assurance & Food Safety Manager to join us 🦆. Come and bring your skills to the table!
GOURMEY is one of Europe's leading cultivated meat companies with global ambitions. Our vision is to create sustainable cultivated meat delights directly from animal cells for a conscious generation. We believe in a world where succulence can share a table with a positive impact and that cutting-edge technology combined with culinary arts can help us get there.
From engineers, and scientists to culinary experts, we’re building an international team that shares the same passion for positive change. Currently a team of 50 Gourmates, we have dozens of nationalities at the table! Our differences are our strengths and our common language is food.
At GOURMEY, you will report directly to our Head of Quality & Regulation, and you will have a tight collaboration with other R&D teams as well as Manufacturing departments.
As a Quality Assurance & Food Safety Manager, you will be a key member of the Quality team responsible for providing strategic direction and executing the implementation of all necessary food safety and quality programs to ensure the safety, quality, and regulatory compliance of Gourmey’s products.
You will start your journey in Gourmey within the R&D / Pilot facility in the center of Paris. Later, we expect this role to become the QA & FS manager of our first demonstrator facility outside of Paris. Therefore, the flexibility to relocate is a critical requirement for the role.
What will you be responsible for?
- Be responsible for ensuring effective food safety compliance through ongoing development, maintenance, and implementation of the company’s Food Safety Plan(s)/HACCP and ensure that Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs), preventive controls, and prerequisite programs are in place and effective.
- Act as a Food Safety Team leader and or Site Quality Assurance Manager for any internal manufacturing as needed.
- Lead, train, and verify laboratory and manufacturing teams on cleaning & sanitation verification, pre-op inspections, sample collection & prep, swabbing, etc.
- Lead the design, creation, and implementation of practical QA programs for Gourmey’s Quality Management System (QMS) by working with multi-disciplinary teams to achieve and maintain relevant internal and external compliance standards.
- Be responsible for internal QMS programs such as controlled document systems, nonconformance, CAPA, change control, internal audits, and other related programs required by Gourmey.
- Manage raw material and supplier review programs which include risk assessment, audits, and the review of key food safety & quality documentation for overall adherence to the applicable regulatory requirements.
- Contribute to the training and development of all on-site employees to ensure their knowledge and implementation of food safety and QA guidelines are current and in compliance with internal and external regulatory requirements.
- Compile, review, and analyze/trend lab data. Be able to provide a data-driven rationale to adjust testing and sampling plans as needed. Be able to make data-driven conclusions on data to adjust product specs, make conclusions on shelf-life studies, and or identify product trends (good and bad).
- Track reports and review agreed-upon KPIs. Develop and lead quality improvement plans as necessary. Partner cross-functionally in quality and process improvement.
- Be proactive and responsive in addressing internal and external customer complaints, communicating effectively on technical issues, leading root cause analysis, and developing and verifying corrective actions.
- Provide ongoing management support and or serve as an administrator to drive continuous implementation of all applicable electronic databases and software related to food safety & quality assurance.
- B.S. or M.S. in Food Science, Microbiology, or similar degree.
- +5 years of progressive biotech/food industry experience in food safety and quality assurance.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in leading either a US (21 CFR 117), an EU (Regulation (EC) No 852/2004, and Regulation (EC) No 853/2004) food safety and quality programs. High-risk/high-care products, aseptic products, and or cultured meat products experience is a plus.
- In-depth knowledge of relevant US (FDA & USDA) and EU regulations (hygiene, labeling, animal products, etc.), one or more GFSI schemes, and relevant cGMPs. Knowledge of other jurisdictions is a plus.
- Experience in developing, implementing, maintaining, and auditing GFSI food safety and quality management programs.
- Certified as a US FDA FSMA Preventive Controls Qualified Individual (PCQI).
- In-depth knowledge of food microbiology, product sampling plans, and environmental monitoring programs.
- Be accountable, highly adaptable, and pragmatic while taking a practical and systems-based approach to problem-solving and prevention.
- Be a coach/mentor whenever necessary.
- A strong work ethic and a team player committed to our business. This includes being on time, consistent, and driven to always do your best collaboratively and positively.
- Strong analytical and computer skills with the ability to organize, analyze, and report significant amounts of data information with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong ability to communicate effectively and comfortable working within a cross-functional team to set the gold standard for quality and food safety.
- Confident in being a food safety expert which will require you to make business and quality risk-based decisions and recommendations based on scientific, regulatory, and objective evidence.
- Fluency in spoken & written French & English.
- Flexible to relocate to another region in France.
- Ability to travel as necessary (domestic and international).
Nice to have:
- Good Laboratory Practices (GLP) and aseptic technique experience.
- Knowledge of statistical applications including process control, data analysis, sampling, and experimental design.
What do we offer?
You will join a fast-growing startup located in the center of Paris, with a global ambition to build the future of food through cutting-edge technologies in an inclusive work environment valuing the importance of work-life balance, we offer:
- Participation in GOURMEY’s ESOP (Employee Stock option plan)
- 25 days of paid leave + 8 extra days (called “RTT” in France) + Whit Monday offered as a paid holiday
- An attractive company health insurance and work-life balance monitoring
- Since we are all foodies, we also offer a great kitchen, daily meal vouchers, and fresh fruits and nuts delivered weekly.
- Furthermore, we support sustainable transportation and offer extra compensation to those who cycle to work.
What is our recruitment process?
Inclusiveness is at the heart of everything we do at GOURMEY. By being transparent about each step of the process, and why we do things the way we do, we believe we can give all candidates a foretaste of GOURMEY’s culture. During the process, you will meet some of your team members in different parts of the recruitment process which will look like this:
- Interviews with our Talent Acquisition Manager, future colleagues, and manager.
- A remote case study in English to give you a taste of what we are working on at GOURMEY.
- A last interview on-site (when possible) to meet part of the team and visit the labs & office.
Want to know more about us?
We are a science, purpose, and engineering-driven company, founded in 2019 and now entering its next phase of growth after our recent fundraising. We are dedicated to creating breakthrough technologies that will help address and push the boundaries of what’s possible – delivering innovations that benefit people and the planet.