Senior Backend Engineer (m/f/d)
Posted on Thursday, October 8, 2020
At Inkitt, we believe every author should have an equal opportunity to succeed. Our mission is to discover hidden talents and turn them into globally successful authors. Traditional publishing often leaves authors behind with human editors responsible for selecting books fit for publication. Inkitt is a pioneer at the forefront of Data Driven Publishing. By inventing an algorithm which analyzes users' reading behavior to identify hits, we have removed subjectivity from the traditional publishing equation. This gives Inkitt the unique ability to discover hidden talents that might otherwise have gone unnoticed.
Are you a builder? We are looking for the change-makers of the world; the people who just build the solution anytime they are unsatisfied with the status quo. Be a part of the revolution to develop new ways of distributing our books, audiobooks, creating games, and video series!
Come build the Disney of the 21st Century with us!
The Senior Backend Engineer position is for all of you experienced builders out there who want to join our Inkitt Platform Team and build the foundation for our company’s future.
What you'll do:
- Develop key components and APIs powering our Inkitt and Galatea mobile applications
- Build data collection platforms feeding our Analytics and AI ReadRank and other algorithms
- Investigate and propose the latest containerized and serverless hosting architectures, API gateways, and monitoring solutions
- Architect services for scale and cost, leveraging the big-name cloud providers as well as more exotic offerings as appropriate
- Develop API contracts, create documentation, and support application teams in developing against those APIs
- Write and maintain software components in Golang, Ruby, NodeJS, and Python
- Evangelize exploration and application of new languages and frameworks
- Participate in Incubation of new business-transforming consumer products and services
Who you are:
- Startup hungry; you excel in a fast-paced, scrappy environment and you welcome new challenges
- Committed to building an in-person work culture; you prefer a hybrid work model
- 5+ years of professional software development experience within various backend infrastructures
- Expertise in Ruby on Rails and a strong desire to learn other back-end languages
- Experienced with using Docker and Sidekiq, while any experience with building CI pipelines, Kubernetes, AWS, Google Cloud Platform, Kafka, or RabbitMQ is a plus
- Strong working knowledge of SQL and NoSQL databases, caches, and CDNs
- Excellent communication skills for collaborating with other teams, while experience mentoring juniors is a plus
- A drive to raise the bar of the team on Code Quality, User Empathy, and Delivery Speed
What we offer:
- 🚀 Stock options for all full-time employees! We believe everyone deserves a piece of ownership for when we become the Disney of the 21st Century
- 🚀 Newly launched 401k to help you save and invest in your future (US)
- 🚀 Health benefits that align with your local market, offering a variety of different coverages for medical, dental and vision
- 🚀 A hybrid model in San Francisco and Berlin offices where 3 days per week are dedicated to in-person collaboration in parallel with remote work
- 🚀 Professional coaching for People Managers and employees who have been with Inkitt for 2+ years
- 🚀 Dedicated budget for team-building events
- 🚀 Employee Referral Bonus
- 🚀 Free access to our Galatea App, get your read on
- 🚀 Unlimited budget for self-development books, on us
- 🚀 Donation to charity of your choice on your work anniversary
- 🚀 Stocked micro-kitchens with snacks and drinks to keep you energized
- 🚀 Class Pass health club for US Inkers to feel their best!
- 🚀 Berlin'ers gym membership
- 🚀 Berlin'ers virtual assistant
- 🚀 Arguably the best perk? Getting to bring your fur-ever friend to our Berlin and San Francisco offices
How we've been doing:
- We're a well-funded, mission-driven, series B company with top-tier investors like NEA, HV Capital, and Kleiner Perkins. Recently, Inkitt has raised $59 million, which is one of the largest Series B funding rounds on record for a Berlin-based business. We believe we have a breakthrough idea that will disrupt the publishing industry while changing undiscovered authors’ lives for the better 🪴
- We're the 8th fastest-growing company in Europe, and 1st in Germany!
At Inkitt, we strive to build a company culture and provide employment opportunities based on diversity and inclusion. We believe every author should have an equal opportunity to succeed, as should our team members. As a growing team from 20+ countries, we welcome everyone to apply.
We look forward to hearing from you!