Backend Engineer - Content Squad
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2023
Location: Remote from Portugal (you need to be located in Portugal and have the right to work in Portugal)
Team: Backend Engineering
Type: Full-Time (Permanent)
OneFootball is the world’s #1 digital football platform, with more than 100 million active users across the world. Founded in 2008, we have come a long way to provide our users with the best personalised digital football experience.
As a media platform, our vision is to connect Football Fans with the best Football related content and media.
At OneFootball, our purpose is to disrupt the status quo and make football more accessible, inclusive and enjoyable. We are a product-driven company with an obsession of crafting a great user experience backed by world class engineering.
Content Squad - About The Team & Your Place In It
You will be joining the Content Squad within the OneFootball Product and Engineering area.
We in the content squad, build and contribute to the core services and products that are used by fans on the one end, and content creators on the other. We enable the creation and consumption of original pieces authored by the Onefootball Newsroom, official content from our partnerships with the biggest football clubs, leagues & federations, federated content from professional publishers and newspapers. We also empower independent football-content creators around the globe, and make their content available to the millions of fans on our platform.
As a part of the content squad, you will have the opportunity to shape the growth of our platform impacting over 100 million users over the next few years.
This will be a middle to senior-level engineering role. You should display a strong technical background and maturity in order to be successful in this role. The number of years of experience is less relevant than your ability to deliver and lead yourself and your teammates to excellence. We welcome candidates with 3-7 years of experience. However, we have seen people starting to display this maturity with less than 2 years of experience. So if you have what it takes, go ahead and apply.
The qualifications listed below are only indicative of our expectations. You do not need to meet all of them to be successful. You’ll fit right in as long as you are curious, and have the ability and willingness to learn things quickly.
What You'll Do:
- Build and continuously improve services that power world-class experiences for both Fans and Content Creators on OneFootball
- Write high performing, maintainable, well-structured and well-tested code
- Lead discussions on how to design systems and improve the technical architecture of our services
- Work in a cross-functional squad and collaborate across different squads to solve user problems
- Ensure high availability, reliability and performance for our services
- Contribute to solving organisation-wide problems when it comes to backend engineering by collaborating with backend as well as platform engineers from different teams
- Work in a culture of collaborative and agile problem solving - adopting practices and principles from Extreme Programming and Continuous Delivery like mob & pair programming, YAGNI, TDD
- Work in a culture that combines fast delivery with safe deployments by adopting modern approaches to development like Continuous Delivery, Test Driven Development, Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment, Observability Driven Development, Event Driven Architecture ...
- Contribute to improving our product development process to continuously raise the bar for product delivery and developer experience
- Provide on-call support on a rotational basis
What You'll Bring:
- A strong grasp and fluency with writing code in Go (or a language similar to Go like C, C++ or Java, combined with a willingness and ability to learn and master a new language quickly)
- Strong experience building high performing services and APIs
- Experience designing and interacting with database schemas - preferably with a SQL database like PostgresSQL
- Experience with designing and architecting systems (High Level Design), as well as designing the right code structure (Low Level Design)
- Curiosity, a collaborative mindset and strong problem solving skills
- The ability to understand the user problem at hand and propose solutions based on all trade-offs involved
- Familiarity with the latest best practices related to writing code, building and designing systems as well as delivering software
- Experience with containerisation technologies like Kubernetes and IAC tools like Terraform
- Experience or familiarity with NodeJs, Python, Machine Learning/NLP/AI
The Recruitment Process:
Step 1: Apply with resume/portfolio
Step 2: Initial Chat with a recruiter
Step 3: A total of 3 conversations
A: Manager Chat (~60 minutes)
B: Core Programming (~90 minutes Pair programming session)
C: Systems Thinking (~90 minutes System Design Session)