Staff Software Engineer - Backend
sennder is digitizing Europe's logistics. We are a growing team looking for a Staff Software Engineer - Backend - to help us on our journey to revolutionize road freight logistics. You would join one of our core Business Areas in our new office in Barcelona (full remote options).
We value humility and we're as interested in your character as we are in your talent. Please apply, even if you feel you only meet part of our listed criteria. Diversity drives our innovation and we offer a collaborative, dynamic and international work environment.
Just be yourself. We are excited to meet you and for you to join us in shaping the future of the logistics industry in Europe.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As a Staff Software Engineer, you'll work within one of our core business areas, each of which has several cross-functional teams in which you'll be embedded. You will lead the development of the long term technical strategy of our key products.
You'll drive our Python-focused modular architectural vision and technical direction, building roadmaps to increase team velocity and output, while coaching, teaching and helping our engineers grow. Additionally, you will be responsible for migrating our Django monolith to modular and microservices architectures.
Reporting to our Engineering Director, you'll be seen as the technical decision maker for the whole business area and will be given a lot of autonomy.
We value strong technical skills, a deep understanding of the business, taking ownership, working at speed, collaborating, taking initiative and leading.
IN THIS ROLE YOU WILL
- Scaling our engineering organization, we have many ideas and are looking for people to develop our backend and engineering practices to support growth and work with many autonomous teams. We welcome new ideas and feedback!
- Help migrating our Django monolith to modular architecture and microservices.
- Prototyping and developing new major and minor features. We often need strong engineering expertise and sharp original thinking to make the right choices.
- We need your support in the development of a solid microservice architecture, we are in the process of implementing a service mesh, stable interfaces and contracts for API, metrics etc.
- We will regularly ask you to evaluate and adopt new languages, technologies, patterns and practices. Drive technical initiatives and encourage teams to adopt new languages, technologies, patterns and practices. Create consistency across teams.
- Work closely with Engineer Directors, VPs and product teams to understand business needs and define our long-term technical strategy.
- Mentor engineers while fostering the technical growth of your teammates through pair programming or knowledge sharing sessions.
PREFERABLY YOU HAVE
- Technical leadership qualities, engineers respect you and are willing to listen to you.
- Proven expertise in building backend and web services. We expect you to have good experience with Python or at least not be adverse to it. We use Django REST Framework, FastAPI, SQLAlchemy, etc.
- Deep experience in microservices architecture and distributed systems.
- Breadth: experience working with more than one language, web frameworks, databases, etc.
- Practical experience with different architectures, design patterns, and programming paradigms.
- Practical skills with Docker, Kubernetes, and modern CI/CD
- Experience in driving high-impact complex problems
- Very good communication skills to provide technical guidance and leadership
- Good communication skills in English.
- Experience in complex organizations with many stakeholders is a plus.
sennder is moving trucks with the power of data to unlock endless and sustainable capacity at unparalleled quality. Through our proprietary transportation operating system, built by our in-house tech teams, we not only connect shippers to our fleet of thousands of trucks, but also improve how they move products in sustainable, cost-efficient, and transparent ways - making the logistics industry fit for the future. In a traditional industry, we’re growing and moving fast to digitally automate all road logistics processes.
We are building a curious team that is driven by an ambitious desire to solve the toughest logistics puzzles. What others may consider uncertainty, we see as an opportunity to learn and be proactive. We invite you to go on this journey with us and be part of one of Europe’s inspiring growth stories as we fast-forward road logistics into digitalization. Get to know us, our culture, green business, funding history, and more on our blog here.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT
At sennder, we want to maximize the individual’s potential for all employees and reinforce an inclusive culture and environment of continuous learning that empowers people to succeed as a team. In addition to humility, we value commitment, team spirit, respect, and kindness to build trusted relationships across teams. Learn more on our career site.
- A fast-growing, start-up-oriented international team of 1000+ people with 65+ nationalities spread across 8 country offices with English as our company language.
- Continuous feedback and bi-annual review process for personal development, professional growth, and career opportunities. We also use “Objectives and Key Results” for company goals.
- A structured promotion process, providing everyone with fair and transparent career growth.
- Learning and development opportunities on the job and through conversations with your manager.
- Various opportunities to connect with colleagues, formally and informally, digitally or in-person (when allowed), through regular team events, company get-togethers, and partnership events with other companies and local organizers.
- Flex/hybrid remote working options.
- When in office: unlimited snacks, drinks, and fruits.
- All interviews are currently conducted on a remote basis.
Please send your application in English and help us reduce negative unconscious bias by leaving out your picture, age, address, and other unnecessary information in your CV. We only want to know the merits on which you’d be great for this role.