AFC Operations Lead/ Senior (f/m/d)
Upvest, founded in 2017, enables any financial institution to offer great investment experiences to its customers. Upvest is an investment firm regulated by the German supervision authority (BaFin). The company currently employs 160+ people across Europe with its headquarters based in Berlin, Germany.
The company is backed by the world’s largest venture capital funds and investors including Bessemer Venture Partners, BlackRock, Earlybird, HV Capital, Notion Capital, and ABN Amro Ventures, as well as by renowned fintech entrepreneurs (including Maximilian Tayenthal, founder of N26, and Felix Haas, founder of IDnow).
We’re looking for fintech enthusiasts to join us in creating the financial infrastructure of tomorrow. We’re building the first European Investment API to enable any financial institution offering a wide range of efficient and transparent investment products, such as stocks and ETFs in nominal, portfolio, and fractional form. Our mission and vision is to make investing as easy as spending money.
We’re based in Berlin but would consider hiring remotely in Germany for this role. If you do want to move to Berlin though, we’re happy to support your relocation.
The AFC Operations Lead/ Senior is a key role in the Upvest Operations team, responsible for setting up the first line of defence, its processes and procedures. The ideal candidate possesses extensive experience in the field of KYC and AML, having demonstrably led these functions at similar institutions before. They can work proactively and independently, have a strong sense of responsibility and execute all procedures and controls diligently in coordination of the second line of defence AML Team. The position will play a critical role in safeguarding the company from financial crimes and ensuring compliance with relevant regulations and policies.
Responsibilities, among others:
Set up KYC/ AML processes within the Upvest Operations team, including future hiring, training and management of analysts
Execute, develop and maintain AML procedures and controls in line with regulatory requirements and industry best practices
Collaborate with cross-functional teams to enhance AML monitoring systems, tools, and technologies for improved detection and prevention of suspicious activities
Support investigations of alerts generated by our transaction monitoring systems, analysis of customer transactions, accounts, and activities to identify and prevent potential money laundering and fraudulent activities
Perform sample-checks on end user KYC data and ensure compliance with regulatory requirements
Ensure compliance with PEP/ Sanctions guidelines
Own annual reassessment procedures for all end users
Conduct periodic risk assessments and reviews of existing AML processes, identifying gaps and recommending necessary enhancements or modifications
Work closely with AML Officer and regulatory authorities, providing necessary documentation and support during audits and investigations
Support AML Team in regularly updating OPS team on new process and working instructions
Support Ops Team in launching requests for information for Clients and End Users
Maintain up-to-date knowledge of AML laws, regulations, and industry standards, incorporating any necessary changes into the company's AML framework
Produce accurate reports and documentation to demonstrate compliance with regulatory obligations
Qualifications, among others:
Bachelor's degree; relevant certifications (e.g., CAMS, CFCS) are a plus.
A minimum of 5 years of experience in KYC/ AML Operations within the financial services industry, with a strong understanding of AML laws, regulations, and compliance requirements
Proficient in utilising KYC/ AML monitoring tools and systems, with demonstrated experience in analysing complex data sets to identify suspicious activities
Proven ability to set up new team structures and lead more junior team members
Excellent communication skills with the ability to collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams and senior management
Strong attention to detail and analytical skills, with the ability to make sound judgments and decisions in high-pressure situations
- We're working on solving a hard problem: fixing the European securities financial infrastructure that empowers more people to be able to invest. You have the opportunity to contribute to this change.
- We invest in you. From access to a personal coach, development budget and plenty of opportunities to grow in your role.
- We take hiring seriously with a strong focus on keeping a high bar when interviewing (equally important is that we hire decent people, who are passionate about their craft and helping us achieve our shared mission).
- While we're not quite fully-remote, we are committed to being a flexible employer, as we understand you don't have to be in the office to do your best work.
- We live a culture of empowerment, trust (that we hire the best people and get out of their way) and openness (there's a greater advantage in sharing information than keeping it to ourselves).
- Learn and grow. We aim high to shape our future. We give and request honest feedback knowing that we develop together. Progression over Perfection.
- Team first. We make it easy for others. We value our differences and are open to others' opinions. We win and celebrate together! Team over Egos.
- Own the outcome. Whether we win or we lose, we stand together. We are proactive and get the job done. Outcome over Process.
- Tell the story. We always start with the why. We share knowledge to empower others. Transparency over Complexity.
Upvest is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees