Senior Data Platform Engineer (f/m/d)
Upvest, founded in 2017, enables any financial institution to offer great investment experiences to its customers. Upvest is an investment firm regulated by the German supervision authority (BaFin). The company currently employs 160+ people across Europe with its headquarters based in Berlin, Germany.
The company is backed by the world’s largest venture capital funds and investors including Bessemer Venture Partners, BlackRock, Earlybird, HV Capital, Notion Capital, and ABN Amro Ventures, as well as by renowned fintech entrepreneurs (including Maximilian Tayenthal, founder of N26, and Felix Haas, founder of IDnow).
We’re looking for fintech enthusiasts to join us in creating the financial infrastructure of tomorrow. We’re building the first European Investment API to enable any financial institution offering a wide range of efficient and transparent investment products, such as stocks and ETFs in nominal, portfolio, and fractional form. Our mission and vision is to make investing as easy as spending money.
We’re based in Berlin but would consider hiring remotely in Germany for this role. If you do want to move to Berlin though, we’re happy to support your relocation.
In 2024, our goal is to evolve our real-time data warehouse architecture into a robust, integrated data platform. We are seeking (Senior) Data Engineers, with a strong focus on data modeling. If you have a proven track record in designing and optimizing data models in data warehouses, managed by dbt or Looker, we want you on our team. Build and grow with us a solid data foundation for our many domains, such as trading, payments, taxes, risk, governance, and many more. Elevate your career by driving innovation in the field of data modeling for real-time analytics.
This role will give you the opportunity to:
- Design, develop, and maintain scalable data models in BigQuery to support various business requirements
- Work closely with product engineering and analytics teams to ensure high data quality and availability
- Lead the development and optimization of our SQL-first data models, across different levels (raw events, domain models, marts)
- Drive the improvement of data governance and schema management processes, integrating with technologies like dbt, protobuf, and Apache Kafka
- Take ownership of Looker models, ensuring they are performant, accurate, and aligned with business needs
- Ensuring compliance with data privacy and security regulations
- Continuously evaluate and integrate new technologies to improve data modeling capabilities and application development efficiency
- Collaborate with other teams to ensure that the data models meet business requirements and performance goals
- Strong experience in domain modeling and data management, in BigQuery or a similar data warehouse
- Proficient in SQL and dbt for data transformation, cleaning, deduplication, and data modeling in general
- Solid understanding of data warehousing concepts, such as data normalization, view materialization, and data backfilling
- Experience with version control systems like Git (merge, rebase, automation)
- Experience in setting up tests, metrics, logging, and alerting for data quality monitoring using tools such as Prometheus metrics, Datadog, or Grafana
- A passion for working closely with data engineers and analysts to deliver 100% accurate, high-quality data models
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Experience in working with LookML and Looker Explores and Dashboards is a plus
- Experience in Go and in building Go-based data pipelines and data products is a plus
- Greenfield projects. We’re building something quite complex and a first in Europe. This means we’re working with cutting-edge technologies and with no legacy code.
- Wellbeing. At Upvest, everyone has access to our in-house coach where you can have regular sessions to support you personally and professionally.
- Development. In keeping with one of our core values, ‘Learn and Grow’, every Upvenger has access to a development budget. In line with one of our other values, ‘Own the Outcome’, how you choose to make the most of it, is up to you.
- Flexibility. We work in a hybrid setup with the team distributed around Germany and Europe. We give you the choice (and budget) to spend your time where you are most comfortable and productive, either at home or the office. You choose.
- Learn and grow. We aim high to shape our future. We give and request honest feedback knowing that we develop together. Progression over Perfection.
- Team first. We make it easy for others. We value our differences and are open to others' opinions. We win and celebrate together! Team over Egos.
- Own the outcome. Whether we win or we lose, we stand together. We are proactive and get the job done. Outcome over Process.
- Tell the story. We always start with the why. We share knowledge to empower others. Transparency over Complexity.
Upvest is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees